PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
Tonight I lighted up for the first time my first Morta (an Il Duca by Max Rimensi). Well I have to say Morta is very good. Neutral in non altering tobacco taste (which is what I want), very dry (which I like) and I was surprised that contrary to what I read around it does not get hot, it is like a briar if not cooler at touch.

For the occasion and given many says Morta gives the best with English/Oriental blends, I used Penzance but given it is very neutral I will try also with different types of blends to see how it works.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have 2 Morta pipes. I like how they look, they smoke good and they quickly build cake. However, I do believe they smoke slightly hotter than briar. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a Nate King morta.I find it smokes very well. Morta is a little heavier than briar so I have some difficulty in clenching it. It seems to build cake a little faster than briar.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I don’t allow a cake to form in my Morta pipes, I treat them like I would a Meerschaum and they smoke splendidly.

banjo

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I don’t allow a cake to form in my Morta pipes, I treat them like I would a Meerschaum and they smoke splendidly.]
I agree and this is my plan. My understanding is that Morta can break badly with cake as Meerschaum would do. As a matter of fact I don't like cake in any pipe, in the briars just a little bit of carbonized layer but no cake.

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I have two mortas now, and will probably expand the collection. The first was a mini-churchwarden that I bought a few years ago from J. Parker. It's a bit rough around the edges but smokes well, and I love the smaller size. It's perfect for when I want a pipe, but don't want to spend the whole night smoking it.
20180403_121503_zpszpjg4zxj.jpg

The second is the Moretti I bought a few weeks ago. It's quickly become my favorite pipe in my admittedly limited stable.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Welcome to Morta! It's a great medium for sure. Pay attention to what fishnbanjo says, don't let a cake form! Wipe out the bowl with a tissue or pipe cleaner after each smoke. If you have any Stonehaven or similar VaBur flakes ... well just try them in a Morta pipe :D

Jun 27, 2016
Are these things any good for VAs? I have one that I'll be firing up at some point, and I was thinking of loading it with cube-cut VA.

(Taller, narrow chamber, 1.76" x .76" or something like that.) :puffpipe:

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
Are these things any good for VAs?
I only smoke VA's in all of my pipes, including my mortas. I've heard some people say they taste a faint smokey flavor from the black morta wood (other colors may or may not have that effect), however I haven't detected it, personally.

64alex

May 10, 2016
[Are these things any good for VAs?]
I just fired her up for the first time yesterday so I don't have too much experience to be authoritative but I feel to say a couple of things. It is generally said that Mortas are best with English/Balkan blends and this is what I started yesterday (Penzance) and I can confirm it is definitely good with it. But I think it will be good also with other blends as it is very close to neutral not imparting too much of taste by itself. I think it will be probably terrific with strong plugs, flakes and ropes and I am thinking here for example at SG 1792 flake and SG black twist or one of the brown twists of GH (I just got the rum rope) or maybe the Peterson 3p plug (which also i just got). Mine is a small size bowl which also would be perfect for these strong blends. I will experiment in the next few days.

Jun 27, 2016
I was thinking that what I have might be a good pipe for the 'zance, if it does not work out with Dark Star or DNF, which is my first plan. :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Morta virgin here, however I'm always interested in reading up on the experience of others. I do enjoy briars, meers and cobs so I'll likely pick up a morta at some point.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I find VA’s, VAPers and other VA tobaccos to smoke exceptionally well in my Morta pipes. Some black Morta can have on off flavor initially which is dependent on the make up of the bog it was subject to for 1000’s of years, it takes several smokes for it to dissipate and all is well from then on.

banjo

64alex

May 10, 2016
[I find VA’s, VAPers and other VA tobaccos to smoke exceptionally well in my Morta pipes. ]
Banjo, first of good to see you back on the board.

Yes, I think a good Morta should do very well with Virginia tobaccos as being neutral should be able to bring up to subtle nuances of Virginia. I also tried it last night with GW rum rope and it was exceptional.

Status
Not open for further replies.