PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I just passed one month since I switched from cigars to pipes. After logging many hours on this site I have learned some really great info ( thanks to all).
I have found some things on my own ( the hard way. )
Mistakes:

1. I spent way too much on too many different types of tobacco. I have 15 mason jars of different types of English / lat / oriental blends - plug , flake , ribbon . This is an overload of the taste buds. I can not really distinguish between most of the blends I should have purchased less , smoked the whole tin and developed a sense of each type.
2. I smoked too much too fast the first week - I had to take a week off already due to tongue burn. For the other northerners who are starting out you do always feel tongue burn starting when you are outside smoking in freezing weather.
3. On that note - Freezing weather is not the time to try out new tobacco - it is hard to savor when your face is numb.
4. I bought cheap pipes from " non- pipe making" countries - The saying is true that "the poor man always pays double" - Just buy a MM cob instead of the $30-$40 junk pipes from unknown origin. My cobs are still here, and my junk pipes are already in the trash. I could have purchased another Stanwell for what I spent on the 2 junk pipes.
5. I spent $200 on a pipe that looks good before I knew anything - I am going to keep my annoying Peterson Spigot P-lip forever to remind me of that.
Happy Accidents:
1. My first PAD impulse purchase, an estate Dunhill Panel - This pipe had a ghost that reminded my of what my grandfather used to smoke ( CBR.) I added what I wanted to smoke ( Dunhill 965) and loved the combination. After a few more bowls the ghost was dead and I did not enjoy the 965 as much. I started mixing 1Q with 965 and that is now my daily smoke. I have also decided to focus my collection on Dunhill panels. Since I was born in 1972 I am thinking a red bark panel will be next.
2. FMC - Ordered this because the tin looked great ( I like the art ) and to make $100.00 I also ordered a B. Viking that was an unsmoked estate - That pipe smokes so well it is now the dedicated " Friday Frog Pipe"
3. I did not know what 9mm was when I ordered a Stanwell - I was irritated that i bought a filtered pipe but I have found it is useful to have one filtered pipe when trying samples some of the stronger stuff.
Thanks again to the regulars for all the info.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Some really good hints there!
I think it'd be rare to find a pipe smoker that hasn't learnt something the hard way - I always recommend cobs too for starters, it was my second pipe, after my first briar (with some gloopy tobacco).

Mar 3, 2014
The Stanwell with the filter, there is no reason to use it if you dont want to. I have filter pipes and smoke them without it, nice open draw. The filter is optional not a necessity in the those pipes.

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Awesome stuff! It's nice to see posts like this to see those who are new to the pipe learn from their mistakes and how they've progressed.
Keep on puffing, friend!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Glad your enjoying yourself Nurse. It's the old "it's a journey, not a destination" thing for myself.
I still learn new nuances from tobaccos I smoke all the time. I know it sounds hokey but some even taste better in specific types of weather. I am not as refined as a lot of fellows on here, but Haddo's Delight tastes fantastic on damp, slightly chilly, fall days. It's like someone rolled up a walk through the woods after a fall rain and stuffed it in the pipe.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
Mistakes I made as well. You seem to be doing fine. I struggle with too much tobacco as well. I like everything (Aros, VaPers, English, etc.) so I want to try everything as well.
BTW this is the second post I read now suggesting mixing 965 with Lane 1Q. I'm going to have to try that one now.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I find with certain tobaccos that the cold fresh air helps me taste things differently, once I walk inside it seems my taste buds have become muted to some degree. I'll have to try the 1Q MM 965 thing as well, I have 8oz of 1Q sitting there that I doubt will get used otherwise.

pipenscotch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Pretty much everything you listed there I had issues with as well (the worst being the freezing cold of smoking outside, fortunately I can now smoke indoors). Part of learning and becoming comfortable with this hobby is learning all of its little intricacies and quirks. Seems like you're coming along quite well.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
This makes me glad that,when I started,I was an impoverished college student in the old days. I couldn't afford lots of baccy. One at a time. :puffy:

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Thanks ,
The Pete , I dislike the p lip ( my problem I did not know about p lips ) I just don't think it warrants it's price tag - the stem can be loose if it is cold out , you have to hold the bowl or it works itself out. The bowl has open pits on it ( no fill) which is fine as I don't care as much for looks but my 50 and 100 dollar pipes all have a better finish. The silver mount has stamping that they never bothered to line up with the flat edges ( they wrap around) . Passing a pipe cleaner is very hard but possible if you have patience .
On the plus side they did not stain in the pipe and it smoked fine on the first bowl.
My " lesson" was to learn what you like before you buy. I may try a Peterson system pipe in the future but it will have to be an in person sale so I can look it over.

costadelrica

Lurker
Mar 13, 2014
Like you my friend I smoked too much too fast the first week with a good pipe that i've buy for 300$; but after one year of using it, i'm really more satisfied! :)

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Now let's see a pic of your horrible Pete spigot. I don't think I've ever encountered a bad one and would love to see yours.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I also purchased too many different tobaccos when I started and also smoked them in the wrong order, which is the equivalent of drinking a nice Barolo and then following it with a Soave. The best part is that you are using your mistakes to improve your smoking experiences in the future.
Great job and happy smoking.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
You are clearly an experimenter. Keep on forum, keep on learning, keep on trying new things and you will soon be telling us what we need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.