PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've got Swiss made pipes, Italian, English, American, Russian and even a Japanese pipe, but this is my first Canadian pipe. It's a Briarmeer and has an odd cutout bowl with a meerschaum insert as you can see in the second picture. The pipe appears to not have been smoked often, which is probably not a good sign. These are the seller picks. It actually looks somewhat better in person and should clean up really nicely. I'll do that this weekend.
Does anybody else have a Briarmeer? If so, what do you think of them?
briarmeerside_zpsa1bffce7.jpg

briarmeerbottom_zpsbefa527e.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Steve, in a Reborn Pipes entry had done some pretty good detective work. Here is his entry:
Reborn Briarmeer
Mine is just about like new and will only require a ream and clean. Looking forward to firing it up this weekend!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, looks interesting. Very nice job on clean-up. What's the cork (?) plug in the base of the bowl about?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
What looks like cork is actually a meerschaum plug. It's supposed to soak up the moisture from combustion.
I have seen eBay listings for this brand, and I always assumed they had a full meerschaum liner. Thanks for the lesson! How do they smoke?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The bulldog smokes just fine. The other one has a tighter draw than I prefer because of the way the airway is drilled in the shank. It's at a pretty extreme angle and the tenon of the stem partially obscures the airway. I'm pretty sure I can fix that.
I have to say, moisture has never been a huge problem for me. And I think the sacrifices that had to be made in the design and line appeal of these pipes (particularly the bull dog) really isn't worth the intended benefit. In short, I think the meerschaum thing is pretty much just a gimmick. But these Briarmeers represent a long history of pipe makers in addressing the problem. The history is what interests me and the reason I collect pipes like this.
The briar quality seems to be good. Fit and finish is...well...maybe a little mediocre but not too bad. If I see another up for auction I imagine I'd go for it.
By the way, a company called Briacraft did take up the Briarmeer name sometime after the original company went out of business, so you may see some pipes with that name with a full meerschaum lining.

Status
Not open for further replies.