Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Intrigued by the description of Loewe & Company Ltd. in Richard Carleton Hacker's book titled "Rare Smoke - The Ultimate Guide to Pipe Collecting," I began a diligent search for one of their older-production briar pipes. Yesterday I purchased the silver-mounted rusticated billiard shown in the image below. I cannot make out the hallmarks shown, and so at this point am uncertain of its age.
To any Loewe owners on the Forums, what are your opinions concerning their qualities as smokers? Please let me know.
$_57.JPG

K

klause

Hunter, that is a super looking pipe. I really like the slightly elongated bowl.
I don't have a Lowe yet (one of these days!), but I've a few other vintage classics. All of them, without exception, are wonderful smoking pipes, so I don't doubt that beauty will serve you well.
Congratulations on acquiring a really beautiful pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Forum member cake&dottle is the Loewe man, with a blog section dedicate to that marque:

http://cakeanddottle.com/pipe-rack/my-pipes/15-my-loewes

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
klause:
Thank-you for your kind comments. Unfortunately subsequent research (ref. message below to ssjones) has revealed that this Loewe MAY be of Civic-era production, so the jury is out until it arrives from Spain.
ssjones:
My thanks to you for the link to Mr. Lankton's blog! As I noted above, the information there seems to indicate that my pipe may not be the "older-production" Loewe that I was seeking; only time will tell.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Mike will be sure to respond if you contacted him via email or PM on this forum. He is also the moderator for the "Streets of London" section of the SmokersForums.uk

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I have one, a lovat.
It smokes well, and has a wide draw. Unfortunately it is too heavy for me (I'm a clencher) so I don't smoke it anymore.

l-and-co-600x448.jpg

blaik

Lurker
Dec 28, 2014
Russia
huntertrw I congratulate on purchase!Fine pipe!

Your Loewe is let out about 1979-1983. If you take the picture of a ring, I will be able precisely to designate year of production.

In my collection there are 16 unsmoked pipes Loewe.

1000-112c0.jpg

LOEWEPIPESca56.jpg

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Amazing collection there Blaik. I just sold my last loewe pipe which was an antique with silver hallmarks dated 1911. Many of the older pipes are very small in size but historically very interesting pipes.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
This morning the UPS Driver brought my Loewe pipe, and according to the hallmarks on its silver band it dates to 1984, thus it unfortunately is a Cadogan product. According to Jose Manuel Lopes in his book titled "Pipes - Artisans and Trademarks," Cadogan succeeded Civic who succeeded the original Loewe & Company which was founded in 1856.
Still, it appears to be well-made. I'll begin its clean-up this evening, and then see how it smokes once the weather moderates - it is COLD here right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.