PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
When I first opened my tin of Dunhill Nightcap, I was intimidated. It was plainly obvious that it was much bolder than the Petersons Irish Oak I had been enjoying all day. I packed my first bowl after reading one of G.L. Pease's article, 'Blinded By Science'. The particular part that I took from it:
Good technique seems to develop naturally over time. I remember one time early on when a friend asked if he could fill my bowl for me. He had a much more practiced hand than I did, and patiently explained that I was “doing it all wrong.” I accepted his offer, and watched carefully as he spread the tobacco out in the palm of one hand, the one holding the pipe, taking experience measured pinches and placing them carefully into the bowl with the other, pressing gently with a calibrated finger until it was filled perfectly. The smoke was incredible. It was a turning point for me
This reminded me, that pipe smoking isn't about cutting corners. So instead of packing my bowl in my usual way, a few pinches, tamp, a few more, tamp. I decided to go a slower route. I put on some good music and took my time. When I was satisfied (and a little proud of myself), I gave it the false light, smoothed the surface as usual, and lit it again. Immediately the first thing that came into my mind was: I bet this is what those great actors like Cary Grant, Peter Lorre, and I don't even know if Humphrey Bogart smoked a pipe. But if he did, I bet it was something like Nightcap. It's a taste that makes me feel like throwing on a smoking jacket, pouring some expensive scotch, and getting a few loyal hounds to lay at my feet, while talking politics with the guys, or solving some math equation that I can't even pretend to comprehend.
I can't distinguish between the different tobaccos contained yet. But it's not really about that, is it? Not yet, but perhaps soon. Until then, just enjoying the ride. :puffy: :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Nightcap has that bold, smokey, leathery, bitter, kind of oily feeling smoke and dark chocolate/burnt steak flavor that I love so much from Latakia. It also has perique, which can be a little hard to pick out on the taste buds, but if you ever learn to retrohale (which means blow the smoke out of your nose without inhaling), you will get a whiff of what perique goodness is all about. Nightcap is amazing stuff and there is a reason that so many people on this forum like it. Glad to see that you enjoyed your first bit of it.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I very much like Nightcap, I think my next TAD will be some additional Nightcap, with some EMP and maybe another Peterson blend.

Jul 15, 2011
GL Pease's Maltese Falcon is another smoke in kind of the same vein as Nightcap, and his Quiet Nights is an English Flake tobacco that is mild but is full of a bunch of very interesting flavors. I also got my hands on something called Spilam Mixture here not too long ago which is an English blend with a recipe that is something like 80 years old and it sounds pretty good. Be sure to keep your options open. Pretty soon your cellar will look like mine which is bound to last me at least the next 3 or 4 years, maybe even longer.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
Nightcap is one of the best and one I consider to be a staple of any good cellar. Incidentally, Nightcap was the very first English blend I ever tried. I was hooked immediately.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
im a pretty big fan as well, madmurdoc i would also like to recommend the original frog morton, blue mountain, and peterson's hyde park. also nightcap only gets better with age.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
Nightcap and Early Morning Pipe are just excellent IMHO.
Don't forget one of the most famous brothers of the briar - good ol' Bing Crosby.
Of course, it was pretty debatable if he smoked much tobacco out of his pipes; Bing was a pretty well known pothead. :lol:

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
That was very well written Madmurdoc... Nightcap is my go to all day smoker. I do need to stock up as I am very low and the lower I get the less I want to smoke it... I think I just dont want to be totally out LOL

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I agree. Nightcap still one of my favorites. Dad will ask "what are you smoking? Smells good" everytime I break it out.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I agree with everyone. When I want the full blast of lat I want that. Also as said elswhere it is damn good with a cup of tea. I'm a coffee drinker to the core but a good strong black tea with a good strong english blend is heaven.

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I love nightcap and had my first fantastic smoke with it. I used a large bowled meer and it was the most fantastic smoke I've ever had. I have some EMP tins unopened but I think I will open one shortly.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Nice write up madmurdoc. Nightcap and EMP have been in my top ten since the beginning (all the way back in March) Definitely have to stock up on more of them both. Have you tried the air-pocket method? For some reason I've been really enjoying those blends using that technique. Although it is a quick technique, you can still done the jacket and rent the hounds. :D

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
I guess tonight will be the night that I pop the tin of Nightcap. So many others I enjoy but I have to get around to trying NC sooner or later. I enjoyed the EMP okay, but hoping for much more from NC.

poligerard

Lurker
Dec 28, 2012
I have had many wonderful bowls of Nightcap, both the old and new one.

This being said, I nowadays find it a bit too "much". Also I seem to have an ever decreasing tolerance of Perique, which makes Nightcap a blend which I dont buy often any more.

I agree that heavy Lat blends like this one taste fantastic in cold dry weather though!

Status
Not open for further replies.