PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't know if any cob could be considered a high grade pipe, but these seem to be at the top of cobs to some degree. I know that Dave Neeb carries some Ricco Santia Cobs that are a whole world of better. But I came across this on ebay and it caught my eye. I wasn't looking for a cob but I kinda liked the looks of this, and it had a lucite stem. Seller said smoked very little, and it looks it. It's a MM customized by Custom Corn Cobs. Priced about 1/3 of what they cost new, I decided to bid, and no one else did. I guess it's a Diplomat 5th Ave. done up in orange with a nicely figured matching lucite stem, that I guess is something like the forever stems. It's the biggest cob I have now, and will give it a whirl this afternoon to see how it smokes. :puffy:

img_0003-600x406.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
As I stated, it is a MM Dilomat 5th Avenue that has been customized from it's original condition. Yeah I know it's just stained, and has an inexpensive replacement lucite stem, but I'd rather have a good non filter stem, and it was already done and I liked it. I think they sell for about $25-$30 which is more that I think they're worth, that's why I bought one used. I like restoring briars, but customizing cobs holds little appeal to me.

By the way it smokes just fine, better than some of my other cobs, because I like the stem better. Maybe I'll get some cheap lucite stems for my others.
Also, why are the forever stems so expensive? Aren't they lucite too?

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
I bought a forever stem a lot like that one, pretty close to the same color, too.

I don't use it cause it's huge.

Later on I bought a MM Great Dane to use with that stem.

It's still huge.

I guess there's no accounting for taste.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Nice cob.
Just an aside. I have a R.Santia cob. He was a great guy to deal with, it smoked great, and the plaster or whatever it is broke apart from the bowl after about 10 smokes and no rough treatment.
I only smoked it on the weekend and it could just be a bad pipe, but for $80 I won't be getting another. IMO your better off with a lightly modded cob like yours.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats Agnosticpipe!
That pipe looks like it would enjoy a nice Virginia Flake ... what are you smoking in it?

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Jah, sorry to hear about your experience with the Santia cob. They look really cool, even though they are quite expensive for a cob. If I'm going to spend that much for a pipe, it's going to be a briar, although an estate one probably.
Minfarshaw, you're right, it's still just a cob, but it's ORANGE! Ooweee, and with a cool stem too. How could I resist?!! BTW, like your choice in music!
Smoking my second bowl now with the cob, Autumn Evening, a nice smoke, but unlike my other cobs, this is not a good pipe to clench. Too heavy... :crying:

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Agnosticpipe.
For some reason I can't get into Autumn evening anymore. I had to toss the bowl yesterday. It had a strange overbearing chemical taste, like burnt pancake syrup. I'm gonna try new stuff though. Waiting for Early Morning Pipe and Nightcap.
You are right, the orange cob looks gorgeous. I love the stem and color. I'm a little jealous. Me loves me cobs. Ooooops. Watch out for the grammar police.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
A couple of my cobs came from Custom Cobs. I found them listed on eBay as Buy it Now or Best Offer; made an offer that was accepted, with combined shipping. It ended up being a good price for two of their "Krazy Cobs" with good bits.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Me loves me cobs. Ooooops. Watch out for the grammar police.
Min, as long as you kept one eye closed while you wrote it and let out an "Ack, ack, ack, ack!" When you completed your thought, you should be in the clear.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Autumn Evening feels like someone is pressing a strip of thin metal to the roof of my mouth and it's causing a reaction.
EMP is one of my favorites, but only if I've got time to sip it. I can't smoke it on the move or it ends up just tasting like an ashtray.
Agnostic. Yeah. It was a poor investment on my part, but I loved the bamboo shank. In retrospect I would have been better off buying 20 double cheeseburgers. Mmmm cheeseburgers.
However I'm not bitter about it. It could have gotten dropped during shipping a few times and gotten a hairline crack that I missed on inspection. I'm still threatening to pull it apart and drill a cob bowl to fit the stem into.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
peck, you damned enabler. BTW, I also always use gloves when I smoke my cobs.
ag, that's an absolutely beautiful cob, I love it. I wish dragon still made his custom cobs, they were awesome, and slightly less than $1,000.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Consider adding this one to the fold:
http://www.scandpipes.com/product.asp?product=3442
Even briars want to be a cob! :mrgreen:
That whole site is just a giant rabbit hole ... so many pipes! 8O

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Not entirely sure why the Forever Stems are priced fairly high - from the looks of it, the stems are blanks from Pipemakers Emporium (same colors, shapes.) I know that he does some work to open up the draw, and turn the tennon to fit the cobs, and also do his inlay on the stem. Which is nice and all, but I'm thinkin' of just buying a fistful of lucite stem blanks and having at it myself.
I have one Forever Stem, and I do like it. I'd have to spend some real coinage to outfit my cob fleet though at nearly $30 a pop. Good work, and I can only say good things about them. I'm just a broke bastard.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Wow, this thread has gone all over the place! Grammar issues, (sounds like what Popeye would say), cheesburgers, Mmmm indeed, Dragon pipes are lookin good, the slightly disgusting Autumn Evening, and a $1000+ briar that looks like a cob? WTF!!, and forever stems compared to slightly less than forever stems. You guys are wearin me out!

Think I'll just stick that MM Washington cob back in my mouth with some Louisiana Red, and get on my lawnmower and tear up the moles.

Seriously, this thread turned into some fun, thanks for the ride.... :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.