PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
After a lengthy search I finally purchased my first GBD pipe, an estate silver-banded Apple which (according to the Seller) dates via the hallmarks to 1937. I only hope that I look as well when I am 77-years-old!
$_57.JPG

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter, very nice indeed for it's age! What type of mortise & tenon does it have? The reason I ask is that it appears like it might have an inner tube filtering system and would be the appropriate age for such, would it not? Did GBD ever use an inner tube?
I have a similar appearing pipe with band & inner tube from ~1940; a Terminus I think. CORRECTION: it is a Titanus of the GGG line. Just trying to learn something here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those hallmarks are crystal clear, amazing! That's a fine way to jump into a GBD. I'd like to see a shot of the tenon as well, once you receive it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That's a great find, hunter. I bought my first GBD in 1970 and now have about 10 but your first GBD is a stunner. Enjoy and let us know how it smokes for you.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I have a few estate GBD's mostly from the "Prehistoric" collection. They are all fine smokers.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
johnnyreb:
Since my experience with GBDs is nil I do not know if they ever incorporated an inner-tube-type device in their designs. The last image above shows the stem's tenon which the Seller thought might have been replaced.
Dottiewarden:
I liked the stand also, but unfortunately it was not for sale!
All:
Thank-you for the kind comments. I'll let you know how it performs.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That is a classic! Such beautiful pipe!
I have three estate GBDs from various time periods and none of them have stingers. At least not now.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Does it come from Marechal and Ruchon, owners of GBD? Just a guess.
From Pipedia:
Meanwhile the GBD name was well established and thus retained. August Marechal and Ferdinand Ruchon led the firm into the 20th century. They were in charge of the company for more than 50 years.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Hunter,
I don't know that GBD ever used an inner tube or not either. My apologies for bringing it up. Your pipe looks so much like the Titanus ( which is Italian) that I have, and of the same era that I thought it might have one. I would agree that your mortise & tenon look original. My bad for making assumptions or jumping to conclusions. Except for the silver band and it's appearance, my Titanus GGG pipe would not be a good one to collect or smoke.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
johnnyreb:
I thought that the inner tube was a frivolous gimick until I read Alfred Dunhill's description of it in his Patent Application dated March 1912. It stated in part:
"Many smokers who would otherwise use a pipe refrain from doing so owing to the fact that a pipe after it has been smoked for some time lacks the sweetness required by such smokers. Again as the cleaning of a pipe is troublesome and unpleasant it is always neglected with the result that a pipe after it has been smoked for some time becomes rank and is then discarded, although its bowl may be in good condition.
"The object of this invention is to provide means of an inexpensive nature which will ensure a pipe always remaining clean and sweet... When a tube has become fouled on its interior surface it can be either thrown away and replaced by a fresh tube, or be cleaned by boiling in water..."
Hummm...he may have been onto something after all.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Looking for that shape number, I found this old pipes.org thread:

http://pipes.org/forums/messages/23/15658.html?1118105246
A commenter in that thread had a shape R9126, but that pipe was hallmarked to 1935. And in that thread was this reference to the MR & Co band stamp:
"M R & C" stands for Marechal, Rouchon and Company, one of the various manufacturers of GBD or controlling entities of the GBD marque in the early to mid 20th century.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
This evening I gave this pipe its inaugural (at least for me) trial by fire using Peterson's De Lux Mixture, and all that I can say is, "Wow, what a well-behaved pipe!" This is my first GBD, and if its performance is any indication of what I may expect from the brand, then I will certainly be looking for more. It provided the most enjoyable initial smoking experience of ANY of my estate pipes!

Status
Not open for further replies.