PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carcosa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2013
So as some of you might know, I only started pipe smoking a couple of weeks ago. Today I popped open a tin of Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls after finishing off my Danish Mixture. I think the pipe I was smoking it out of was a little big (a Peterson's Aran #6 straight billiard). I took a couple of medallions out which fell apart a bit, and rolled them up stuffing them into the pipe, and sprinkling the leftovers across the top. I had to pack it down a bit since it didn't completely fill the bowl.
I have been taking my time with my pipe, and I had to relight this 4 or 5 times where normally I might relight a couple of times. The smoke itself was very nice, and my first taste of perique left me thinking there is really no words to describe the flavor, which was perfectly enjoyable, maybe a bit tangy. It was a pretty cool smoke till I got to the bottom of the bowl and the pipe was getting hot (gotta watch out for that considering I'm still breaking in this pipe). I was thinking next time I might try three medallions in a pipe that size, but I will have to set a couple hours aside I think.
One other thing, I heard someone mentions bowls sizes such as a size 4 5 or 6, so how would I find out the bowl sizes of my pipes? I own 4 pipes, my smallest is a Grabow Omega and the other 3 have about the same bowl size.
Also with only 4 pipes do you think it might be smart to dedicate a couple of them to my latakia blends and the others to non latakia blends? I heard it can make a big difference with how a tobacco tastes.
Needless to say I will have to save these for my Omega or for a longer smoke.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I use dedicated pipes for all my VaPers now, but in the beginning I found that separating a pipe for the brown and red VaPers made a difference. Like a peanut butter in my chocolate thing. Smoking some Escudo in a pipe you smoked some SJF the day before is going to roll over. IMO defiantly keep the Latakia and Aromatics away from your VA pipes.
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.