My first flake, and my first step into a larger world...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I've been a recreational pipe smoker for years, and a serious pipe smoker for four months. Lately I've been smoking various aromatics (namely, Dunhill 21000, Seven Seas Royal, and Mcclelland Black Cavendish). But yesterday I picked up my first flake (Dunhill). I couldn't believe the difference! It was just a cooler, longer, and better tasting smoke. Too bad it's more expensive, since I cannot imagine not making this sort of baccy a standard smoke.
Now that I've tried (and loved) this particular flake, what is the natural next step as I try more non-aromatics?
*edit* - moved to Pipe Tobacco Discussion forum -Jason

drsam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 25, 2011
It is great to have A new experience like that....I just discovered "escudo" last week which is a coin cut, (round flake) and it is wonderful good.
I have found several other flake type bends and I want to try them all.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Enjoy your tour through the wonderful world of flakes, you have a lot of potential stops you can make along the way, and most are wonderful. Flakes, and plugs have become my favorites now.

creekspecter

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2011
Well, sir... you've opened a very large box, full to the brim with choices. Define what you like, then take it from there. Flakes are Virginias, they're Balkans, they're Burleys, they're in-betweens and everything else. Enjoy what you smoke. Still, if I may... give the Samuel Gawith or Gawith and Hoggarth flakes a try. There aren't many who can't find a flake between the two of those companies that they like.
Welcome, and well met!

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Enjoy your journey through the world of flakes.I agree with creekspecter,Sam Gawith is well worth a try even if his flakes do vary in thickness fro time to time.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Glad to hear that you have discovered the wonders of Flake tobacco! Dunhill flake is one of my favourites and I always have a open tin in my collection. Another similar flake to try when you get the chance is Peterson University Flake which is another of my favourites. Enjoy the search for your perfect flake :)

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Agree with above, SG and G&H flakes are worth the explore.

Also as Mark notes, plug tobacco!
Flakes, plugs, and don't forget the ropes, add so much to the pleasures of smoking.

Whole new dimensions in quality of the smoke, duration of a bowl, cooler smoke, IMO more pronounced flavors, along with the additional steps required in the preparation.
I enjoy it and know you will as well futureman!

smokey422

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2011
There are so many good flakes out there that it would be difficult to list them all. What category of tobacco is your favorite? English, VA or VA/Per, Burley, Balkan, Aromatic? Let us know what you like best and we can narrow the choices down some.
Smokey

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
What category of tobacco is your favorite? English, VA or VA/Per, Burley, Balkan, Aromatic? Let us know what you like best and we can narrow the choices down some.
Dunhill 21000 was my point of departure, so it is natural for me to make aromatics the source of comparison. I didn't realize how wide ranging the baccy field is. I suppose I have more sampling to do before I can answer that question with confidence. I certainly have my eye on Samuel Gawith, PU flake, and the Penzance.

trout

Lurker
Nov 22, 2011
Escudo, Orlik, Erinmore are all good starting points from a tin perspective. Peter Stokkebye bulk also has some fantastic choices: Luxury Navy Flake, Luxury Twist Flake, and one of my favorites, the Luxury Bullseye Flake. The Bullseye is a roll cake (or roll flake) a compressed cylinder with Virginia on the outside and a center of Black Cavendish and a hint of perique thrown in, then sliced into coins like Escudo.

Status
Not open for further replies.