PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendodan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 22, 2013
So I just smoked my first flake (SG Best Brown) and I have to say, I rather enjoyed it. I used the cube cut method and it was a much longer smoke which I like. The Briar world keeps getting deeper and deeper.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
And the next stage of experimentation is to play around with the prep and notice the differences. The same tobacco will be different is rubbed out, folded up, etc. I'm too lazy to cube cut with regularity. My favorite is the ol' fold and stuff. The initial light can take longer but it usually burns well once it gets going.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Best Brown is the flake I've had the most success with so far. Probably my favourite tobacco so far. I still have some packing issues but the flavour is so good I really don't care about relights.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Best Brown Flake is a wonderful first flake. Personally I rub out my flakes (blasphemy, I know!) to a broken flake form. I feel this helps it burn easier and gives a bit more flavor. Cube cutting is a good method as well.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Ah now you've got me itching to try this. I have not as of yet smoked anything but ribbons. In fact, I just received two tins of BBF yesterday. They, along with Klondike Gold Flake and Gaslight are the first that I have acquired, and I am anxious to try them out. :)

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I'll be smoking some Beacon Extra on the drive home tonight. I also prefer the cube method though I haven't really tried the other methods yet.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I also mostly smoke flakes. I am also too lazy to cube cut, and have only done so a few times. I do think that cube cutting brings out the most intense flavor especially with perique. I fold and stuff when I want a long smoke because you can get the most tobacco in there. The vast majority of the time these days, I fully rub out. Easier to light, just the right length of smoke, and my tobacco lasts a lot longer as rubbing out puts about half as much tobacco in the bowl. The smaller my bowls get from cake, the less I rub it out.

titus

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2013
Canada
As a new pipe smoker I have been the most impressed with the different flakes I have tried. They appeal to me on lots of levels, not only flavor but also from the appearance, the way you smoke them, the way to prepare them. I have to admit though I have lots to try still.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Orlick Golden Sliced was my first flake and still in the rotation.
It's good folded, stuffed, rubbed and cut.
I prefer the rubbed out method for the reasons stated by BryanF.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Orlik Golden Sliced was my first flake

Mine too. It is well suited for all shrewd judges.
Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake is the Alec Guinness of pipe tobaccos.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Welcome to the world of flakes. You picked a great classic as your first and just wait till you see what 8-10 years of age does to it. I smoke flakes exclusively because of the cool burning and intense flavors I get from them. I have smoked all the other types of cuts and for my tastes nothing beats a flake. In terms of preparing them, I cube cut them most of the time followed by fold and stuff, those are the only two methods I use as after trying all the others, I have found what works best for me, I never rub out my flakes as that will make them burn hot and lose flavor. I have a rotation of 28 different flakes and usually have somewhere around 20-25 open at the same time to smoke from, I have no problem with tins drying out on me ever after letting them sit open for 6 months or more. Here is my list of flakes I enjoy, the TR next to the name means the tobacco is ready to smoke with no additional drying time on most occasions. The flakes are listed in no particular order so if you are looking for my favorites you will have to ask. The pic below shows some tins in plastic containers that I buy at Walmart. A 4 pack of different sizes cost about 6 bucks and they keep my open tins perfect for months at a time.
Virginia Flakes
Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug TR

Fribourg and Treyer Vintage TR

Fribourg & Treyer Special Brown Flake TR

Wessex Campaign Brigade Dark Flake TR

Wessex Brown Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Virginia Flake TR

Wessex Gold Brick TR

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Samuel Gawith full Virginia Flake

Hamborger Veermaster TR

Dunhill Flake TR