PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
I did my first experiment with making my Oom Paul which no matter how slow I sipped it or what blends I smoked in it the bowl would get hotter than Hades. I noticed that it had a shellac coating on it and it was coming off. So starting with 320 grit sandpaper and ending with 12,000 grit sandpaper I got it looking good and hopefully it'll be able to breathe.
/ http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/mdk0692/KIMG0170_zpsuurtmidz.jpg
KIMG0196_zpshsicsfcy.jpg
[/url][/img]
IMG_20150903_193407_zpsoytdmumr.jpg
[/url][/img]

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
Ty I'll have my first smoke in it tonight with some rlp-6 I picked up earlier this week. If I could've gotten up to 20,000 grit sandpaper I would've stopped there and probably had a mirror shine but I like it like it is so far.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
If I buy a pipe with shellac I always remove it. Ladies finger nail polish remover works great. Acetone removes the shellac without damaging the stain and no sanding needed. Nice work. Hope she smokes cooler now.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
+1 Dave
I'd have just used acetone. Used it on a couple of mine with great results.

jefflee01

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2015
Leesburg, GA
If I had some acetone on hand I would've used it but I wasn't partial to the color of it and I wonder how it'll look once it colors naturally

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
People may think I'm crazy, but I sand off the shellacky coating on all my smooth Grabows, and I swear they smoke better. It may just be a trick of the mind, but whatever works, works.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
That's a MUCH better first experiment than mine! Mine was dropping a zinc pellet into a glass of hydrochloric acid and resulting in the bus driver having to pull over and get everyone off the bus till the fumes aired out. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.