PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sartrean

Lurker
Jan 31, 2017
Hi, I wanted to give a report my trip to pipe world and ask for recommendations for some pipe tobacco that I should try next.
Out of boredom and curiosity, I wanted to try pipe smoking. I hate cigarettes, so this is kind of a weird thing for me. Nevertheless, I acquired some info on pipes and was quickly searching for briar pipes on eBay. I bought a used and refurbished Medico briar billiard that looked nice and was cheap. It was in a good shape, reamed and waxed when it arrived. It smelled pretty unpleasant, like an old and stale apartment and burned garbage. Oh well.
I don't know where I got the idea, but the tobacco I bought first was Mac Baren Navy Flake.
It was kind of what I feared it would be: I liked handling the pipe and the overall action of smoking, but the smoke itself to me was pretty close to just smoking a cigarette (without inhaling). I thought it was an okay thing to do for once a while but not really anything special. If nothing else, it changed the way my pipe smelled from stale into a pleasant tobacco smell.
Later on I decided to try another type of tobacco to at least be able to give a fair judgment of the hobby. I wanted to buy Dunhill Night Cap, actually just by the cute name and a nice looking package art, and also because it contained latakia which I thought was like dynamite of tobacco flavors by what I had read. It was however too expensive (26 e) so I ended up with Peterson Old Dublin (20 e). I am super glad I did! To my surprise, this "little stronger blend" (description by the saleswoman) wasn't to me "strong" in the sense I was expecting, but actually very pleasant, rich, diverse flavored smoke. Also none of the nasty tongue bite that Mac Baren gave me. I have now enjoyed three pipefuls of this blend. Last one was particularly nice, although I think the nicotine was a little too much for me as I sweated a litttle and felt a little nauseous afterwards.
Now I have bought another nice pipe, a black/green Venini.
To end my little report, I am kindly asking for recommendations on what to smoke next by the fact that I really enjoyed Old Dublin but not so much of Mac B Navy Flake. I have already written down Peterson Balkan Delight, SG Squadron Leader and SG Commonwealth. Any thoughts on those, or completely other recommendations?

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
The possibilities are virtually in the thousands, but based on your enjoyment of Old Dublin you'd probably enjoy most medium strength English blends, for which I'll recommend Dunhill London Mixture, especially due to its possible disappearance from the market
I also recommend you to reach out and try as many blend varieties as you can, Virginias, Burleys, VaPers, etc. However, your sensitivity to nicotine means you better take it easy on the Night Cap or similarly nic heavy blends. Nicotine overdose only lasts for about 20 minutes or so but you'll regret ever having surpassed your limit. Don't be afraid to smoke half bowls of the stronger stuff because the nic sneaks up on you and by the time you realize it, it's too late.
Happy sipping!

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
At the risk of sounding self-serving, you may enjoy John Cotton's No.1. Medium Latakia, low in nic, complex in flavor.

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
If you don't mind me asking, where are you based? I'd presume Europe and those prices are in €.
From the blends you've suggested I go for SG Squadron leader, it's a lovely light English blend but does need a little drying before smoking.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Coming from me, this probably won't be self-serving: John Cotton's No. 1 is fine, but #'s 1&2 is absolutely divine!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Coming from me, this probably won't be self-serving: John Cotton's No. 1 is fine, but #'s 1&2 is absolutely divine!
Yes, and then there's Smyrna, and then there's Bengal Slices. All home runs, but I prefer the latter blends.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Welcome! My entry into the hobby was not so different from yours, with the exception of the particulars. I thought pipe smoking neat, became curious, and started googling.
I started with an unfinished Hungarian-shaped Savinelli and a tobacco blend offered to me by a friend who described it as "moccasin-y". It turned out to be an English mixture (bulk My-Mixture I've come to believe). Up until then I had only smoked the odd convenience store cigarillo so the nicotine game me the spins and I was sure I would unburden myself of my lunch. The pipe gurgled almost immediately and it and was far too labyrinthine to pass a pipe cleaner through -- not that I knew at that time how important a pipe cleaner was.
All this to say I'm sure you will have more pleasant experiences in time! I'm glad to hear you've already found a blend that you enjoyin Old Dublin. Dunhill's London and Standard mixtures are fairly close to Old Dublin as I recall. For something just slightly off the beaten trail, I quite enjoy Presbyterian Mixture. It's less influenced by latakia and more oriental and virginia forward. It's a complex blend which will give you different notes as each leaf catches.
You may also want to try Frog Morton Cellar. It's very lightly cased with a whisky flavouring. Barely an aromatic.
Best of luck! :puffy:

sartrean

Lurker
Jan 31, 2017
I thank you all for your input! I will keep my eyes open for your recommendations while I am on a prowl for a nice poker pipe. I am an everyday writer/reader basically: I study in a university and very often am writing on an iPad with an attached keyboard and/or reading books and articles. When summer gets closer, I can do this outside too. The idea of a little transitional rite towards evening by lighting a pipe that can rest occasionally on a table while I use my both hands on the keyboard seems like a nice little calming ritual.

jayski

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2017
I'm new to smoking also and I enjoy rich strong tobacco. Tsuge: Ryujin "God of Dragon". A bold mixture of sweet Virginias, smoky Latakia, and Perique's spicy, fire-cured cousin, Acadian Black, this Tsuge blend is as powerful and unrelenting as the seas the dragon god Ryujin ruled. One of my favorites so far. A must try!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Bengal Slices are sublime

Always a good time.

Smyrna is great,

No need to wait.

Always a fine time, by crackie,

With Std. of PA tabaccie!
Dedicated to The Cake!

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
Molto Dolce

Escudo

Mcclelland Classic Samsun

Hearth and Home Virginia Spice
Those are not just good, but specifically good for beginners, give them a shot.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
If you can get it I would suggest a couple Hearth & Home Marquee series blends that are ready to smoke right out of the tin no drying necessary. Particularly Magnum Opus and Viprati. Both are fantastic. Magnum opus contains latakia but also has some great oriental leaf in it as well. Viprati is a great Virginia/Perique. (In the Va/Per line I would also suggest their Anniversary kake as well)

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Some new pipers that I know really enjoyed McClellan's Frog Morton series, especially On The Town and Cellar. If you were in North America, I'd recommend Boswell's Countryside and Northwoods -- both are English blends, the latter being more full-flavoured.

Status
Not open for further replies.