PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2011
Prior to this purchase, I had absolutely NO experience with Lakeland Floral or Tonquin flavoring. NONE. Never tasted or even smelled it. I’ve read countless reviews describing a wide variety of what these things taste/smell like and I wanted to try it for myself. As 1792 is virtually unobtainable, I went with G&H Dark Flake Scented. I ordered 4 ounces (bulk) from P&C.
Just as a point of reference, I prefer stronger tasting (and nic-filled) blends. Irish Flake is my absolute favorite and I smoke probably 5 bowls of IF a week. I also enjoy OJK.
Now, when I opened my package from P&C (which contained several tins of other blends), I was immediately hit by what I knew was the aroma from the DFS. I pulled the bag out and smelled it without opening. Yikes. I opened the bag and took another sniff. It was like a punch in the nose. The smell was…VERY strange. I have no description for the smell of the unlit tobacco. Maybe some very alien cologne smell. NOT a good smell (to me). I’ve heard other people talk about an aroma of tobacco from the tin making their eyes water. That has NEVER happened to me, but this stuff smelled like it came from Hell. Strange is the only way I can describe it.
Not to be deterred, I got myself ready to fire it up anyway. I took some pieces of the rather loose flake and rubbed them out fully, leaving them on a small saucer to dry for an hour. The smell was still there, but not nearly as strong. I packed the stuff into a Full-Bent Savinelli Dry System (which has a rather tall and narrow bowl). One match – rich, heavy clouds of smoke. Tamped it down a bit to a charred upper crust and let it sit for a few seconds. I tried to not even think about the scent at this point. Then, I re-lit with another match and sat back to taste. This is what these flavorings taste like to me: The pages from a VERY old book that have recently been sprayed with a very pungent and aromatic hairspray. The first third of the bowl was dominated by this flavor. I could taste the tobacco, and can honestly see the references for G&H DF to the taste of Irish Flake --- but with the aforementioned taste slathered on.
By the mid third of the bowl, the hairspray taste subsided but the mustiness remained. Now, a VERY strong licorice taste emerged.
The last third of the bowl (for me) had the least amount of flavoring. It seemed to settle into more of a (relatively speaking) naturally strong tobacco flavor. I don’t know if I had gotten used to the flavor or if it had subsided. Nonetheless, this stuff kind of grew on me a little by the bottom of the bowl.
When I first pulled the bag out of my package, I was pretty disappointed. Now, I feel better. I gave this a chance and was ultimately intrigued by what I found. At this point, I don’t think I’ll be smoking this every day. However, I’ll try to keep it reasonably in rotation to see how it grows on me. I would recommend that anyone try this – but maybe buy a little less than 4 ounces at the onset.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Certainly a love it or hate it proposition regarding the traditional English casings and toppings (Lakeland).

I for one love it! The Dark Flake Scented is a joy, from your post you ended up preparing it pretty much as I do.

Good stuff that!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have developed a great fondness for Lakeland style tobaccos. Right now I am smoking a bowl of G&H Kendal Mixture. A fairly lightly flavored one. I like it!

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Strugglingthinker - If you enjoy your tobacco with a nic kick like a bad tempered mule, keep searching out some 1792. It has been the only blend so far that I have actually found too strong. I liked the taste and flavour, but the nic-ups really got to me!
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but as a side issue, why are they called "Lakeland" blends? As I understand it, the term refers to the two "Gawith" producers who are both situated in Kendal which is in the Lake District. So, shouldn't they be called "Lake District" blends? Or am I missing something?
I mean, if there was a distinctive style of tobacco produced in New York, you might expect them to be called "Big Apple" blends not "Big Fruit"! :) Although maybe I've missed something so any answers would be great.

dylan793

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2011
Buchanan, GA
@withnail :lol: good point! Id like to know the answer to this too.
I've yet to try a blend with the lakeland toppings. Only one way to find out 8) though I think ill order considerably less than 4oz to try it.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but as a side issue, why are they called "Lakeland" blends?

I can't answer that authoritatively withnail but it seems that the designation "Lakeland" is a North American thang.

How did it begin and where, I have no idea.
As best I've been able to tell, blends that have had the older erm,... traditional I s'pose, fruit, nut and floral toppings seem to be classed as Lakeland.
It's similar in some respect to the attempts to classify some blends as English, others Balkan and so forth.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"...why are they called "Lakeland" blends? As I understand it, the term refers to the two "Gawith" producers who are both situated in Kendal which is in the Lake District. So, shouldn't they be called "Lake District" blends? Or am I missing something?"
A very old thread I know but as no one offered a response I thought I would. The 'Lake District' of northern England was more commonly known in the past as 'Lakeland' and it really is as simple as that! The name 'Lake District' came into more common use in 1951 with the opening of the National Park.
From Wiki: The Lake District, also known as the Lakes or Lakeland, is a mountainous region in North-West England. A popular holiday destination, it is famous for its lakes, forests and mountains (or fells) and its associations with the early 19th century writings of William Wordsworth and the other Lake Poets.
Regards,
Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Davet, I don't know if you've ever visited there afore but it is one of the the most beautiful places in the UK to visit (though it does rain a lot). Who knows, you could even arrange your itinerary to include a visit to the tobacco mills up there. I wish I had on my visit there many moons ago.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.