PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I bought 3 different estate pipes on Ebay thinking I could clean them up, but then the unexpected happened. Two I think can be managed, but one of the pipes came in with what I think is marijuana stuffing left in the bowl and I am not sure if it is salvageable. There is no cake per say, but a heavy oil/tar looking substance in the bowl. I have begun to work on getting that gunk out but am suspicious that the bowl itself may also have been burned in areas.
My plan is to take a pocket knife to the bowl, trying to cut out all that I can of the nasty stuff. Afterwards I hope to try doing the salt/alcohol treatment. The stem is currently soaking in Bar Keepers Friend. I am wondering if anyone has seen this kind of situation and if this is redeemable in a pipe layman's hands. And also, if the bowl has been burned in areas will it smoke funny or taste bad?
I have read before its probably best for newbies to avoid Ebay pipes, now I better understand. Fortunately I did not pay a lot for the pipe, like 12$ including shipping. And I suppose it is a good project pipe to practice on.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not many will agree with the use of a pocket knife on a briar bowl. Why not get one of those inexpensive SS reamers?

reamer_buttner.jpg

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Sand paper wrapped around a wooden dowl would be my first choice for what you describe, being careful to avoid taking off any briar. Dowels can be had in sizes close to the bowl diameter, and reduce the risk of getting the bore out of round. Afterwards, make up some pipe mud with ash and a few drops of water to coat over the burned areas. You might be able to make something smoke able out of it, but it will be good practice if you decide to restore your own pipes in the long run.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
That reamer that Newbroom posted is just a few bucks... Get yourself one as you will use it quite a bit if you'll be buying many estates.
The dowel method that Rigmedic suggested is good too and I do use it on seriously nasty estate pipes... In fact I just used it on a small bulldog an antique shop gave me because it was pretty bad, in fact I belive it was even chewed on by a mouse or something., still needs more work but it's getting there.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
Ok, I just broke down and bought a reamer. I am in China and don't always have as easy a time acquiring stuff, even if things were made in China they are still hard to get. So will try reaming the daylights out of it and then making the mud paste after salt and alcohol treatments. Appreciate the counsel. I don't ever have much of value to post on this board but enjoy reading and being able to get sound advice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Reamers take some practice to use them without overdoing it, but this is the perfect practice pipe since it isn't useable as is. Go easy. Good learning experience.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Tobacco tar and "gunk" is much harder to remove from what I understand. The "other" stuff burns much hotter though. If it is not burned it should be fine with a thorough cleaning. Salt and alcohol will definitely do the trick.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Somewhat new to the refurbishing aspect. I'd recommend a Castleford reamer. It has four heads that change out for different size bowls. After I ream with my Castleford I sand the interior of the bowl with 400 grit. Add a little isopropyl to a couple cotton balls and stuff them gently in the bowl. Swab the tenon with q tips and isopropyl. Use pipe cleaners for draft hole. After removing the cotton balls allow the pipe to dry and use 600 grit to do a quick sand and another alcohol cotton ball soak. Pull the cotton balls and put dry ones in place. Allow the pipe to sit over night and then pull those. Allow two days before the next smoke. It's high maintenance, but it's my preferred method and the quality of my smokes have improved.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I like the Castkeford reamer set for my factory pipes with fairly standard bowls. Doesn't work out as well on the odd sizes. I have an old adjustable reamer for the oddballs.

Status
Not open for further replies.