Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just won this on ebay. Good deal or I screwed myself as a newbie?
The photos are dull, but with three drams of Laphroaig in me I decided to take a chance! Do let me know what do you think?
Although this is my first Dunhill as a pipe smoker, this is not the first one in my life. During my college days, I wasted a fantastic Dunhill which I took from my uncle. The sad story of my college Dunhill I may post here some day, but if this turns out to be good... this is a redemption to that!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Looks to be a hole in the upper stem, but nothing that can't be repaired. Not a bad price.
$_1.JPG

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The possible hole, just in front of the bit. Could be a reflection, but likely a heavy bite mark.
$_1.JPG

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
One reason to stay away from flash unless you really know what you're doing. Check out the second image!
s-l1600.jpg

I think you got yourself a very good deal. Enjoy!
s-l1600.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Good deal or I screwed myself as a newbie?
More the latter than the former, I'm afraid.
The stem is a badly done replacement, something might be wonky with the mortise (hopefully it's just a crooked tenon), the shank was shaved at the time the stem was fitted, the nomenclature is blitzed, and the chamber looks to be somewhat over-reamed.
The best finds/deals are old, original condition, one-time high grade pipes that were smoked hard and put away grungy in an attic somewhere and haven't been messed with since they were found. They're in the same category as used underwear in the minds of non-pipe people, and they're thrilled to get $20 for one. You must know which brands are desirable to play that game, though.
If you are going to buy restored/cleaned/refurbed/repaired pipes, as a general rule stick with the half dozen or so online re-sellers who are both honest and know what they're doing. (The board will fill you in on who they are, I'm sure.)

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Hey I think you did great! A Dunhill for a Franklin! Good job. To me who gives a Rats A$$ if it's a replacement stem, looks good. Enjoy it!

May 4, 2015
The "smoked maybe two times" in the description is troublesome. Probably wouldn't need a replacement stem and certainly not a reaming if that were the case. It's unfortunate that sellers feel like they have to fabricate and take advantage of people. It does emphasize the point George makes re: sticking to reputable sellers.
That said $100 is a nice price, it's still a Dunhill, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the heck out of it! Congrats!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yeah, the dot is funky (way too large). But, a $100 Dunhill lesson isn't tragic.

That's a Group 2, which is pretty small, but my preference.

Let us know how it smokes and if lives up to your Uncle's pipe.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Not wanting to pee on your fire but the walls look terribly thin to my eye.
I have a Dunhill with a thin walled bowl and it gets rather hot rather quickly...I hope that is not the case here.
Regards,
Jay.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Biggest frustration is waiting for an eBay purchase to come. Was expecting one today but has not shown up. Will show when it does. Your purchase looks great, price is a little high.

But then it's only money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Even if it has a replacement stem, assuming it's sound, that's about as good as it gets for a price, unless you find one of those one-dollar Dunhills at a yard sale. I hope it's perfect for you. I'm not a Dunhill guy, but at that price, I'd consider.

May 4, 2015
Not that it does you any good at this point or adds to the conversation all that much, but I personally would not even consider bidding on/buying a Dunhill without running it by these fellas first.

Status
Not open for further replies.