PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
And now I'm eagerly waiting for my Missouri Meerschaum cob. Regarding my Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, I've got to say, I'm really not a fan of the odour it gives off. Is it a fairly common thing to find the smell of English Blends unpleasant when you first start with them?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I don't like EMP, unless of course it has an extremely healthy pinch of blending lat. The Orlik production IMO is terrible. As for the smell, it'll grow on you.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome to the Dark Side!

Darth_Vader_by_gattadonna.jpg

:D

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
My first experience was "ewwwww", what heck is this, "Smells like something from the barn floor." About an hour after my first bowl, I wanted more. And so it began; my continued spiral into the dark side.
:puffpipe:

harrier52

Can't Leave
Aug 7, 2011
Yes the smell at first is very bad. It actually kept me from trying it for nearly a year or more. But finally i couldnt get the satisfaction i was looking for in an aromatic and said the hell with it. I packed up a bowl of Old Dublin ignored the smell and found out it was great. To date ive yet to smoke anything without a good dose of lat in it since that day. Now I also enjoy the smell to. Everyone else hates it but oh well.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I never thought latakia blends smelled "bad", just "different". Not at all sweet or fruity like aromatics; to me they smelled like pencils. Not pleasant, but by no means unpleasant either.
But I grew up around my father and grandfather (both of whom smoked pipes) so maybe you have to be "raised in it".

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
After my initial period of olfactory indoctrination into the dark side, I find the smell of most English blends very acceptable. If I could get it in cologne or bath spray form I'd probably give a bottle to my wife. (I can say things like that on here since she can't see my posts.)

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I enjoyed the earthy flavor and aroma of the first English/latakia blend I tried. SPC Plum Pudding. It reminded me of younger days playing in the hay. :)

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I am a fan of Sam gawiths Latakia blends and I find the smell OK.His Balkan Flake is really smokey out uf the tin.I have not tried any of the Dunhill blends so I can't comment there but SG smells just fine to me,but then my nose is firmly on the dark side ( I did drift away for a while but soon came back again ) :puffy: btw looks like you upset Jeremy Clarckson :eek:

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
I have enjoyed the smell and taste of lat from my first encounter with the stuff. It is why I started pipe smoking. For most, it is an acquired taste,like beer. I have 4 tins of 3 year old EMP to work through before I try the Orik product.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My first was Dunhill 965, and I couldn't believe what i had been missing. 90% of my stash is Balkan now. Aros are great for the ladies, but Latakia is for me!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
@bigvan: I too think of pencil shavings when smelling English blends. I tend to get it in the smoke as well.

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
To me unfired I get BBQ smell, then fired a hint of smoke in the smoke...I know sound weird but English has grown on me as well. Still like a nice aro especially around the ladies.

You might contact Sterling and discuss with him. He is a master of understanding what you should like and does business the old fashion way - customer is king.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
It's like a certain other activity. Once you get past the smell it's all good. The smoke is vastly different than the tin aroma.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
It's funny... My daughter commented on my "stinky" blend (H&H Blackhouse) that she caught a whiff of from outside and asked why I smoke it if it smells like that. I told her that the good smelling ones are for everyone around me and the stinky ones are for me because they taste good.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.