PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanch

Lurker
Jul 25, 2012
I am a very new pipe smoker and am curious about trying some English blends. So far I have only smoked aromatics which I have bought from my local tobacconist (which is more of a cigar shop but they have a few house blends). I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good English blends for someone who has never tried one before.
Thanks!

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Welcome aboard !!
There a list of them on this thread
Given that I'm not a fan of blends containing Latakia, I will let others chime in more. Good luck.
Sit back, relax, buckle up and enjoy the ride ;-) Lots of knowledgeable people here.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I would suggest delving into the wonderful world of Latakia blends by sampling both the Cypriot and Syrian varieties.

To that end, I would reccomend securing yourself a tin each of McClelland Three Oaks and McClelland Three Oaks Syrian. Niether could be called a "Lat bomb", but both offer a wonderful flavour profile highlighting the dark leaf.
Speaking of which, I am on my last tin of the Syrian - guess I need to place an order!

profpar

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2011
Buford, Georgia
The very first Engish bend I tried was penzzance, the first two vbends I bought were frog ortn on the town and frog Morton accross the pond.

Jul 15, 2011
I recommend going on opposite ends of the spectrum to try and figure out how much Latakia you would care for in a blend. On the mild side, you could go with something like GL Pease Quiet Nights, Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, or Hearth and Home Victorian Stroll. On the heavier end of the spectrum, try something like Hearth and Home Larrys Blend or Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding, which are both heavy in Latakia and super smooth smokes, but you might not like that heavy of a concentration in Latakia. Let us know how it goes!

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I would say you can't go wrong with either McClelland's Blue Mountain, or H&H Black House. Both of these are my go to's for a good English blend.

darryl

Lurker
May 24, 2012
I haven't tried any of those listed. The range we can get in my country is very limited. But I used to smoke Dunhill Flake, which is a lovely medium strength straight Virginia tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.