PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have just won my first dunhill pipes.They are both unsmoked and came from a former dunhill employees family.

The first is from 1974

A bruyere 56

and the second is a shell 120 which has no date stamp but if I read the hallmarks on the band correctly is from 1974 also

now just need to wait about 3 weeks and then clean them up

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
Buddy, you are screwed- the bug is on you. I resisted Dunhill for many years, collected Barling's, GBD, Comoy's, etc... I purchased my first Dunhill less than six months ago and now I have a 1920 35, a 1923 151, a 1923 bent shell without a shape stamp, a 1933 LB, and a 1944 114. Great pipes from the glory days of a great manufacturer.
If yours smoke as well as mine, you are in for a treat.
Doc

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bought a ruby bark billiard some years ago, and traded it for 3 tins of Mephisto. Gladly immune to that bug.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well they arrived and they both smoke dry and easily to the bottom of the bowl with no relights.

Someone posted a query about a pipe bought from the same seller on another forum,I posted pictures in detail of my pipes and the consensus was they are real, anyway for what I paid I am happy.

And @doctorbob you are correct I am screwed I am currently waitinfg delicvery of a 1962 pot bought from a member here.

I should get it tomorrow postalservice willing

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
well my pipe from Irish (gary morrison) arrived and I have given it a quick clean up on the outside and the colours really stand out now.

and i have a 653 shell from Dean @www.estatepipeshop.co.uk date unknown (1960s-75ish) as repair band covers date stamp

damn you PAD

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My ONLY Dunhill is a 656 shape. I was told that the first 6 denotes the stem style. In this case it's a saddle stem.

I bought this pipe almost 2 years ago and had a certified Dunhill replacement stem put on it that cost me more than the entire pipe.

I just let it sit in my rack and didn't smoke it for over a year. ?

One day I decided I wasn't going to try to 'make money' by selling it off, as I had originally intended (that was my excuse early on in buying pipes, I was investing, ha ha) and put it into the rotation.

I'm happy that I did. It's a great smoker and comfortable as heck. It just feels good in hand and mouth.

I've got less than $150.00 in this pipe and it's easily my most expensive layout.

Mind you, I've got lots of nice pipes. I wouldn't even call the Dunhill my best, but one of them.

I scratched that itch and now I look for good old wood for under $50.00. Usually way under.

It's a hobby of mine.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
@newbroom

it certainly seems to be the case re 6 = stem type as my 653 is identical to a 53 except saddle instead of taper stem.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Does anyone know the shape number for the pot.I can make out what looks like a 6 and F/T which I guess is for fish tail, but nothing else.

I am just curious

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
ok so after looking in bright sunlight with a loupe it actually looks like 6 R which would make sense as r donotes pot and 6 if above is correct means saddle bit which it is. the date is 8 with a 9 after presumably to show sold date as 1969.

Status
Not open for further replies.