PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
We're under a tornado watch, but that will just have to wait until I finish this delicious bowl of Flake.
I took advantage of SP.com sale on five tins of DF, and it came UPS fourteen minutes ago. I wasted no time opening the package and a tin, and loading up my tiny Barclay Rex that I've had for more than thirty years. It barely fits one folded flake, and immediately I'm enjoying the sweetness.
The background reminds me of MacB Virginia #1, but much sweeter and smoother. I made a good choice.
Now back to watching the weather.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I was really impressed by Dunhill Flake the first time I tried it as well. A very well balanced Virginia Flake in my opinion!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Dunhill Flake is a wonderful medium body Virginia and easy to smoke because it stays lit. Enjoy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
DF is a great tasting easy smoking flake that never disappoints me. It is nice and sweet, always comes ready to smoke and is in my rotation of first smokes of the day. This thread has reminded me that I need to open another tin, thanks.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would say brighter.
I just got my first tin as well and was pretty impressed. I normally go for fuller bodied smokes but this one was quite nice.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I would say brighter.
That's what I thought. I almost pulled the trigger on 5 of these, as so many like them. But I'm finding I really gravitate more towards red and stoved Virginias, and not so much the gold or bight flakes. OGS is a great example- just doesn't trip my trigger.
But McClelland Blackwoods Flake, or H&H Marble Kake. Yup. Now we're talking.
I do have one tin the cellar to try someday.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Tarek,
I think it would be worthwhile to get a few tins to age. I normally smoke St. James Flake, Peterson 3 P's, stuff along those lines. I found the Dunhill Flake to be very enjoyable. It definitely will not become a main smoke, but it is definitely a nice change of pace.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I would say brighter.
+1. I don't have much experience with VAs, but it looks to me to be a bright leaf.
I'm finding I really gravitate more towards red and stoved Virginias
I'll be trying out the reds and darker stoved VAs too. I'll need to win the lottery in order to whittle away at my list of wanna buys.
I owe a thanks to many of you who've posted in this thread. Your knowledge has bettered my smoking enjoyment.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Was my first flake experience as well.....i now have about 15 tins aging....good stuff!!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
tarak, DF is superior to OGS in my opinion, I find OGS to be very grassy and hey like and only enjoy it after at least a decade of age.
DF is a great first of the day smoke, it has a nice rich flavor and not grassy at all.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I agree with Harris and Rothnh! Now, where my door prize? :nana: :D
Btw, DF gets even better with age.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I like it too. I smoked a bowl this afternoon after I got off work in my clay pipe. Glad you're enjoying it.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Dunhill was my first flake as well, and just like eveyone else it has stayed in my rotation, at least until Dark Star tries to knock it out as my favorite flake (Damn you Roth). :lol:

~Ron

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Haha! You took the challenge on the Dark Star -- glad to hear you enjoy it, Ron! Although the Dark Star is not something I would recommend for someone new to flakes and/or virginias!
Yeah definitely not for anyone just new to flake or Virginias, I could see a lot of new flake smokers getting really discouraged.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.