PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I posted a thread the other day about a Dunhill Shilling I bought. I was quite confused about its nomenclature, or lack thereof. I email Dunhill with photos of the pipe taken from the Ebay auction. Dunhill responded with a very thorough explination. They said there should be more nomenclature which the photos didn't show. Yesterday I received the pipe and this raised further questions. The pipe is a 1996 Dunhill Shilling. In a pipe of this age, it's HIGHLY unlikely that the nomenclature would've been worn completely off without the slightest sign it was over there. I email more detailed hi res photos to Dunhill and received the response below.

Dear Mr. Allen,
Thank you for supplying the new photos.
The date stamp "36" confirms that we were spot on; your pipe was manufactured in the year 1996.
As to the missing HT/HT XL stamp there are two possibilities - either it was buffed out when the pipe was re-polished in the past or it left the factory without that stamp by oversight, although the latter is extremely rare.
In any case, if you wish, you can send us your pipe and we can add the missing stamp(s). Some collectors might want to leave it as it is, maybe as this might give them an opportunity to show their fellow collectors an "oddity" and something to discuss about ...
We leave that decision in your good hands. Should you wish to have the stamp(s) added please send your pipe to my attention at below address.
Sincerely yours,

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nate,

With the email correspondence you had with Dunhill were it my pipe I'd print them out for reference and provenance, to me as an oddity it is far more scarce than it already is being a Shilling, congratulations on a neat find, regards.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fishnbanjo hit the bullseye; keep the correspondence in your business files and leave the pipe as is. It's far more interesting and probably valuable as is. Also, Dunhill has now "owned" the pipe so there's no doubt about that. Congratulations on a great buy. It's worth more than what you bid, I would guess.
You could send a sharp copy and ask that it be signed on letterhead; that might really seal the provenance question. Dunhill would be happy because it costs them almost nothing as compared to setting up a post-dated stamping of the pipe. You might be able to simply ask by email and receive the letterhead ink-signed copy by snail mail.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Ah.... Love that idea of getting it on letterhead!! I might have the perfect opportunity to ask for it as we're discussing my 1944 Dunhill for possibly a new "original" horn stem which will require my sending it to Englad via Mail du Snail. I'm a HUGE fan of documented provenance and would make an already awesome pipe just a bit more awesome ;) it's funny how these little happenings can color the way you see an object. Obviously I liked the pipe since I purchased it, but it wasn't anywhere near a favorite among mine. Thru a simple, common email exchange my feelings about it have changed. I can't imagine a situation where I'd sell this pipe now, but having a letter on Dunhill letterhead concerning the pipe would make it seem that much more uncommon.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just having a Dunhill is kind of cool. Having a one-off "oddity" Dunhill definitely ups the cool factor. Congrats on a sweet score!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Nate,

Getting a horn stem with a white spot for your '44 Dunhill is brilliant, it should also be stamped on the underside when they made the replacement stem so I would keep the replacement stem with the pipe as well as copies of correspondence with Dunhill and billing etc. now fire up that Shilling and celebrate! :D

banjo

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Nate
Enjoy!
96 was the first year they made those. They aren't "regular" production. As I posted in the other thread, we even sold one that had a regular catalog shape 4202.
Hope it smokes as good as it looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.