PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Finally got a chance to try the MM Legend that was kindly sent to me.
In a nutshell...I am impressed.
I really didn't think a corn cob pipe would smoke so well. With the exception of the last few puffs, as I was charring the bottom of the bowl, the smoke was consistently cool and dry. I got the full flavour of the blend even though it was the first bowl in the pipe.
There will be more cob pipes in my future:)

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Yeah, bottom of the bowl is definitely not the best point of a cob, but the awesome rest of the smoke more than makes up for it.

Cobs are great smokers and really all a pipe smoker needs.... although I do still enjoy the beauty and hand feel of a briar most of the time.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
although I do still enjoy the beauty and hand feel of a briar most of the time.
I understand completely. Maybe its because I'm still new at this, but smoking my briar pipe is every bit as much fondling the thing as it is actually smoking it :)
Having said that, I know for a fact now, there will always be a cob pipe in my fly fishing vest starting in the spring as I head out to the stream. (I've been known to be somewhat less than graceful and have ended up face planted in the stream more than once)

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Having said that, I know for a fact now, there will always be a cob pipe in my fly fishing vest starting in the spring as I head out to the stream.

Ah, you're in for a treat. A serious treat. :puffy:

catjockey

Lurker
Jan 8, 2017
$11.69 will get you a cob pipe with a hardwood plug in the bottom. I can say that it is easier to burn out the bottom of a cheap briar pipe than the MM hardwood plug. At least, for me it was, lol. A lil' pipe/fireplace mud was all the cob needed to be fixed (still going strong), the briar went into the trash, as it had a hole in the bottom of the bowl. I used a pipe to both investigate a long time intrigue and quit smoking cigs. I smoked Camel non-filtered and was a fast smoker, combined with sucking at quitting, and smoked both pipes hard with only overnight rest at the end of the smoking day for the first few months as I made the adjustment. I would be blowing on the outside of the pipes frequently to cool them down, not because they were uncomfortably warm, but because the were scorching hot on my skin, lol. I knew at the time 'how' to smoke a pipe, it was just a very difficult thing for me to kick the cigs, and required my treating a pipe like a cig for a period of time while I made the switch.
Point being, a hardwood plug will help with that, and I can attest to its ability to be absolutely abused and hammered on, as I did it when I first started this about 3 years ago.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
MM Cobs and Dr Grabow pipes will get a newb on to a great start, once baccy tastes develop and knowledge of pipe makers are learned you will be subject to full on TAD/PAD, welcome :rofl:

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
At the best of times I am prone to acquisition disorders in all my hobbies.
I'm not sure which will be cheaper, pipe collecting or the therapy to avoid it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.