PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Hi over the weekend I found the courage to fully clean an estate pipe I purchased from Ebay. In fact, I probably payed WAAAY to much for it. I'll score that up for being a novice instead of being stupid ;)
Anyway, I sanded the pipe starting with course sandpaper and finished with fine sandpaper. You will notice that while using a very nice scraper to clean the bowl that I had dug into the top of the bowl a little bit. the rest of the bowl was cut just to the briar and I was proud of that. Maybe there is a technique that I am missing or I just need to be more careful in the future. Any suggestions?
One more question is what would you suggest on the finish? A natural stain and just wax? images below.
topdownbowl_zps3e96a8a5.png

sideview_zps0e76a99b.png

mouthpiece2_zps8a1032d0.png

mouthpiece1_zps9430233e.png

frontandback_zps352629f0.jpg

mouthpiece_zps13efec9e.png

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I'd just buff it up, it's got a nice colour to it. Nice find, I love a billiard. The walls of the bowl look a bit thin to my eye though, hope it doesnt smoke too hot for you.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Don't neglect to thoroughly scrub out the interior of the shank and the stem with wire shank brushes, wire pipe cleaners, and Q-tips that have been soaked in alcohol. The goal is to keep scrubbing until there is nothing left inside to stain the cleaners.

If you don't have a buffer, buy a set of micromesh pad to polish out the stem. You can also use these to polish the wood if you're not re-staining. If you want to wax the exterior, check out Halcyon or Paragon waxes. These provide a bright durable shine without the need of a buffer.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That stem appears to be briar. Is the pipe a Kaywoodie "All Briar"? I have found that estate pipes will color nicely after sanding and buffing and not staining.Give it a good coat of wax and let it develop it own "patina".

Also I've found that it is not necessary to completely remove the cake from an estate. If you get it clean,especially the shank,there won't be much of a problem with ghosts, and if it does have a ghost, a couple bowls of burley generally will drive them out.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Don't neglect to thoroughly scrub out the interior of the shank and the stem with wire shank brushes, wire pipe cleaners, and Q-tips that have been soaked in alcohol. The goal is to keep scrubbing until there is nothing left inside to stain the cleaners.
+1 Sable
You can also use a light touch of Extra Virgin Olive Oil to finish off both the bowl, and after you've polished it out, the stem.

wannashmooze

Lurker
Jan 21, 2014
Some dark furniture polish can give the pipe a bit of deeper color. After that you can wax it with beeswax or carnauba wax and polish with soft cloth.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
You said you used a scraper and nicked the inside bowl edges: was it an actual reamer, for pipes, or something else you used? A good reamer, like a Castleford, will really help keep it even all the way down without getting out if round. Of course, they do take some practice to master but are much less likely to have an accident than a knife blade or other scraping tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.