My first Castello arrived - Old Antiquari bent billiard (KKKK)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
Hope to get a chance to smoke it on Sunday. Not sure which tobacco I'll choose for its maiden smoke.
The weight and balance are quite nice. I really like the sandblast of the Old Antiquari line.
I didn't notice the fibers on the rim or inside the bowl. The pipe is, of course, flawless.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I just couldn't wait any longer. The Castello was calling for its maiden smoke.
Some initial thoughts:

Though not designed as a sitter, it sits quite nicely.

Though not designed as a clencher, it has great balance and can be easily clenched.

The chamber can hold a massive amount of tobacco.
First smoke:
Holy pipe smoking, Batman!
The best first smoke from a pipe had been my Sav 320. Until today. I can say that the first smoke in this Castello was qualitatively different from any other pipe I own. It's just that much better than all my other pipes. And I'm not saying that because I spent nearly 4 times as much for this pipe as any of my others. I'm saying that because it truly is different.
As the bowl does not come with any pre-carb (and that's much appreciated), the only flavor was from the Aged Burley Flake. And ABF tasted much sweeter and richer in this pipe than any other I've smoked it in. I'm going to break this pipe in slowly, so the first smoke was barely half a bowl. Once broken in, this could probably provide a two-hour smoke.
Of all the differences between this Castello and all my other pipes, perhaps the greatest is the draw. It's not that it has an open draw. It's that it has an effortless draw. The balance of the pipe both in the mouth and in hand is perfect. I can only imagine what it will smoke like after 20 bowls.
So I say thanks to all those who suggested I buy a Castello. But now I have only one question: what am I going to do with all my other pipes?

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I just might do that, gigger. Maybe I'll keep a couple Prtersons and my Sav 320.
All joking aside, I'll save up for a second Castello. Perhaps a Sea Rock.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I have heard nothing but great things about Castello-except for one thing. Acrylic stems
Too bad.
On the other hand, more pipes that you acrylic guys can buy!

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
Allan - I prefer hard rubber stems. But as you mention, they're not an option on Castellos. With a softie bit I really don't notice the difference though.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
Now once you satisfy your Castello yearnings onward and upward to Ashton's. It was roth that made me seek out one and now I have four. They are by far my best and most reached for pipe. All my Dunhill's come a close second to the Castello's I think. My higher grad Peterson's in the Holmes line are wonderful as well. I've been doing some house cleaning, as it were, with my pipe collection and have boxed up the lessers to the box for disposition to some deserving souls ready to burst upon the pipe smoking scene with decent pipes to start out with. I have also bought some fine Ser Jacapo from pipestud as of late and am looking forward to palming them soon.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
It just radiates comfort to me. And glad to, see no pre-carb. I like breaking in my own bowl.
shaintiques - you hit the nail on the head. Extremely comfortable. No pre-carb. Doesn't have anything on it you don't need, and everything you do.
I will have to check out the Ashtons as mustanggt suggests. I've herd the name, but not much about them.
I look forward to the "raise" I'm going to receive this May when my daughter graduates from undergrad. Then the PAD can really kick in if I so choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.