PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
There I was, puffing away on a Missouri Meerschaum Pony Natural with some Prince Albert on board while I tickled the keys of a laptop and started to taste and smell corn! I kept puffing.

I put my hand on the bowl to adjust the pipe's position and felt it awfully warm in one spot so I pulled it and looked, and realized why I'd been smelling corn. The outside had/has an obvious burn spot. After the pipe cooled and I dumped its contents, I could see a breach in my 'cake' that corresponded with the mark on the outside.

The Pony in a natural or unfinished cob is a nice little pipe that does not have a filtered stem. I guess I'll try a patch job with some home made pipe mud, once I get another cigar to acquire the basic ingredient.

This is the first pipe I've ever burned or had burn! At least it wasn't my Sav Autograph, or another of my 'better' grade pipes.

I 'spect I may have puffed a tad vigorously to achieve this milestone.

ben88

Lifer
Jun 5, 2015
Quebec
I also smoke "hot", that is why from now on I cover the entire bowl with pipe mud.

I smoke Legends and I shorten bowls by about 1/3 so I can have a quick 15 min smoke,

so 1 bag of pipe mud is enough for me to coat 2 cobs very well

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Just call it your skeleton pipe like the Vauen Diamond Skeleton pipe or the skeleton wristwatch where you can view the movement!

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
We need pictures!
I saw a really sad looking burn out on google a few weeks back when doing a little pipe smoking refreshment as I was getting back into this old sport.. a bran new nice briar fully borked and burnt out in 3 months!
Pretty scary stuff.. especially when you're chuffing on something nice. Can anyone explain the fine details to why a burn out will occur, please!? Obviously uneven embers, weak spots etc but I need to know more. I'd cry like a toddler with a skinned knee if I jfk'd one of my bowls! lol
The only form of cob murder I've participated inw as this one..

A super cheap chinese pos £1 cob. Smoked pretty good considering, but I was smoking herbal alternatives to baccy (not weed, I'm not a hippy!) and during a heavy machine session after I dumped the bowl of burned out flavoured leaf tea.. the actual walls of the bowl were glowing with ember! lol eventually the stem fell off and the bowl was nearly dead.
For anyone interested in trying one of these.. don't. A real cob costs about £5 and smokes perfectly and are heavier than alot of fruit woods. (My Mr.Brog pear wood pipe is lighter than my MM legend!)

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I smoke a lot of "Natural" cobs and from what I've heard they have a greater risk of burnout then other cobs. Fortunately I've never had it happen to me. If it does I'll just toss it and buy another. I do prefer "Natural" cobs over the plastered ones.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Here's a look at the pony.

S3WLoJLanz-ZX4x91yvwBf0wyafJEU-3hQ467z5raLo=w242-h181-no

56gFz2ZtaVJmg5MIs2oFMA-2Pp7n_AbuPDHZQjqZpr8=w1424-h1068-no

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I read the article posted about burnouts. I use a wick lighting method, which is the least (or should be) invasive light you can get. Coolest burning...the drawback could be in lingering with the wick in the bowl on a "deep" relight...I am not sure if that's what happened because I don't recall exactly when I noticed and what preceded my 'awakening'.

I'm pretty sure that once I tasted cob, I didn't stop immediately. At least for a couple more puffs.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
That´s quite a hole you´v got yourself NB! I would try to fix it with plaster of Paris. MM uses it on the outside of their cobs and it should be fine on the inside too. The breach looks to large for pipe cement to me. YMMV of course...

Mar 1, 2014
Last year I had a General Cob burn out on my second or third bowl with it.

The cost of shipping is equal to the cost of buying a new one so I just tossed it. I have over a dozen Cobs now anyway.
On the subject of Cobs, I am very impressed with the Wizard Cobwarden, they must be choosing premium stock for that pipe because it's got thicker, harder walls than any Cob I've seen before. I just bored two of them out to a 1" bowl (tapered of course) and the wall material is very consistent (and the wall thickness is still 10mm, the same as the General). I think Missouri Meerschaum could be making some nice wide pots with that Cob stock if they can actually grow it consistently.

Status
Not open for further replies.