My First Brigham, Is It Canadian? (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Estate Pipes
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes
2 Fresh Former Pipes
2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I've always wanted to try a Brigham pipe, and I finally found one I like, and was the right price. Bought off ebay for a little over $15 shipped. It doesn't appear to have been smoked much at all, but needed a good cleaning up with some staining and polishing. As you can see from the before pics, the stain had some problems, and the finish was dull and oxidized. I decided to refinish the pipe with a little more contrast than there was originally, as I felt it added to the difference between the rustication and smooth finish.

However the pipe has no country of origin stamped on it, just the name Brigham, and the style number. It looks to be an older pipe, and has the aluminum tenon, so I thought it might be of Canadian manufacture. The style looks different than the current Brigham Voyager Volcano, and I thought the newer Italian pipes had a delrin tenon. Any thoughts?
Before:

img_0161-600x331.jpg

img_0164-600x383.jpg

After:

img_0170-600x343.jpg

img_01761-600x387.jpg

img_01751-600x449.jpg

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
That does appear to be a "Canadian Made" Brigham. I'm pretty sure that they switched from an aluminum shank to a plastic when they moved their production to Italy / France. Your new pipe having the aluminum tells me she is made in Canada.
Nice find, and great restoration! !!!

Dec 24, 2012
Agree, that one was Canadian made. They actually switched to a delrin tenon a year or two before production moved to Italy and France.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
100% agreed with Peck, Neil and Bill. That's a "Made in Canada" Brigham. Nice clean up job! It looks great!
-- Pat

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Glad to see that my assumption about it being made in Canada was right. (not that there's anything wrong with the Italian made Brighams)

I've just never had a pipe made in Canada, so it was nice to see it happen. Maybe the stamper was hungover, and forgot the "made in Canada" stamp. Still waiting on some filters, can't wait to try it out.
gerritjan, I love your Canadian collection, especially the bottom sandblast pipe. (GBD?) Not sure if Brigham made a pipe in the Canadian shape. Seems like it would be a natural thing to do though.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The "Made in Canada" stamping was inconsistently applied over the years, and millions of pipes, that Brigham was in production in Canada. Brigham did indeed produce Canadian shaped pipes. I've had three or four come through my Pipe Cave over the last year and a half.
-- Pat

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
Well I got my filters for the Brigham, and decided to smoke mostly aros in it. I don't smoke a lot of aro tobacco, but I tend to favor pipes that can use a filter as they seem to take care of the exsess moisture that I find in some aros. Drying the tobacco never seems to do to much good either. So I tried it out with some of Scotty's Trout Stream. I'm not jumping to any conclusions here yet, but this may be the best filter system pipe I've encountered. Very easy draw, a fairly dry smoke, and best yet, no bite. Took the filter out after smoking, and found just a little staining and moisture on the filter. I wiped it off, ran a pipe cleaner through, and set it out to dry and be used again. So far I'm impressed, and will try it with some other of my favorite aros to see how I feel after a few more bowls. This may be the start of a new PAD obsession! (like I need any more...)

Status
Not open for further replies.