PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
So I decided to move further into the pipe world and picked up my first briar pipe! After such a good experience with the local B&M, I decided to buy a pipe from them. I decided on a La Rocca Donna. I like the clear acrylic piece (noticed on my Cobs I bite on the bit without realizing it) and the finish. I was also give 2 Oz. of their London Fog blend for free! Flavor isn't bad, its London Night blended with Ebony....a bit heavier/hotter (only had aromatics) but not bad. I did notice earlier today that while smoking I had a little gurgling towards the end. I know its from moisture in the stem, I was up walking around the garage and doing stuff instead of just sitting and relaxing. I think I was just puffing a bit fast and thats what caused it. Curious if I should, assuming its alright, to stick a pipe cleaner down the stem when there is a gurgle? I'm guessing since you do that after your finished, it shouldn't damage it, but want to make sure before I did it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. That's a neat looking pipe you have there. As for using a pipe cleaner to clear the gurgle, by all means do it. I use several pipe cleaners during a bowl. It's a solid practice. I also insert a pipe cleaner after I'm done and leave it in the stem until I smoke the pipe again. I find it helps wick the moisture and leaves the stem clean.

Good luck with your piping adventures.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I did notice earlier today that while smoking I had a little gurgling towards the end. I know its from moisture in the stem, I was up walking around the garage and doing stuff instead of just sitting and relaxing. I think I was just puffing a bit fast and thats what caused it. Curious if I should, assuming its alright, to stick a pipe cleaner down the stem when there is a gurgle? I'm guessing since you do that after your finished, it shouldn't damage it, but want to make sure before I did it.
Welcome to the relaxing side..we have cookies..
Yes perfectly fine to run a cleaner down it while smoking. That gurgle can be from the tobacco, the speed you're smoking it at, or just spit that creeps down the stem into the bowl. If you're walking around and have the pipe in your mouth aka clenching, then it's probably a combination of both. Keep a couple of cleaners handy and happy smoking.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
papipeguy, Leaving a cleaner in the pipe is a good tip. I had not thought of it, but it will be a great technique for the cobs I store stem down in racks on my pegboard wall panels.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
That stem reminds me of a Butz-Choquin Fregate pipe, very nice! By all means, use as many pipe cleaners as necessary. Just makes the experience better! Congratulations on your first briar!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I sometimes leave a cleaner in a pipe. I wonder though, if it isn't better most of the time to just clean the draft with a pipe cleaner and let the pipe breathe.

I smoke some pipes that COULD utilize filters and find that there's sometimes some juice that gets collected in the mortise of the bowl. I use a cotton tip swab or however many to clear that portion, too.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
papipeguy, Leaving a cleaner in the pipe is a good tip. I had not thought of it, but it will be a great technique for the cobs I store stem down in racks on my pegboard wall panels
I sometimes leave a cleaner in a pipe. I wonder though, if it isn't better most of the time to just clean the draft with a pipe cleaner and let the pipe breathe.
I've seen this debated on the forum a few times before. Does leaving it in dry the shank or trap the moisture long term?
Do whatever you want. If it works for you, good.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Will definitely keep a couple with while smoking. Keeping one in after the smoke is a good idea, I'll try that too. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and the PAD has already continued, couldn't turn down the P&C Bjarn pipe and tin deal.....might have been a TAD as well since I wanted that free shipping.......probably will with hold that transaction info from the fiancé for awhile.
Thanks everyone

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Nice italy pipe. I don't remember when I did pick up my first pipe. It was long long time ago.

Now I do enjoying 80+ pipes and many kind of tobaccos. Congrat for start. Enjoy and Happy smoking.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Don't listen to these guys. It's a terrific hobby and doesn't at all have financial or practical costs. It's harmless in each and every way. Happy smoking!!!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome. Digging that pipe and puck in the background. Go Northstars! Wait I mean go Wild!
If your in the states shoot me a pm. I'll be glad to send you some samples of whatever I have open.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Nice LaRocca. A few years ago, I spotted a LaRocca poker at my local independent B&M. It had folksy carved

rustication, and I really liked it, but passed. But I kept remembering it, and weeks later, I went to get some

tobacco, and I thought, if the LaRocca's still there, I'll get it, so I did. Good big deep bowl for a long smoke.

It took a while to break in, but it's a keeper.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the forum!
Try to pace yourself in this Pipe acquisition and then later Tobacco acquisition. It can be quite addictive.
Nice looking pipe. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.