PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
First of all I have to say I am not in aromatic, I am mainly with English/Oriental and sometime Virginia. However, I became curious with the Lakeland so I got a tin of Ennerdale. When I opened the tin today I was completely put off from the "soapy" smell many describes. I was very near to close the tin and putting it for donation. Anyway I decided to give a try so I took a flake, I bone dried it and loaded in a Legend cob with not too much hope and much more fear to be honest.
I am happy I gave it a try. When I lighted it up it was apparent it was a very nice tobacco, you can taste the good Virginia, a little bit of Burley (which becomes more pronounced in the 1/2nd half of the bowl). I can't say too much about what is described as sun cured leaf (which I don't know what it is, maybe some variety of Virginia?).

Yes, the Lakeland was there in full force but still it was not zeroing the underlying tobacco, to me it looks it was designed to complement the tobacco. I would describe the Lakeland note more of a floral one, I detect less the vanilla/almond note.

On a bonus note, and this due as it was bone dry, it burnt very well to white ash, with a single light I went to mid bowl and a couple of relights were only needed in the 1/2nd half.
At the end I would say it is a good quality tobacco. It is very different and may be liked or not but it should be tried. For the ones who dislike aromatics it could reserve a nice surprise and for the ones who likes aromatics it could give a nice venture in good quality underlying tobacco. It will definitely enter in my rotation. Is it my holy grail? No, I still remain an English/Oriental and sometime Virginia lover, but this one will give a nice diversion every while. My suggestion is to try it, it might give a pleasant surprise. Now I am even more curious to try the Bob's Chocolate Flake and the Groosemoore I acquired with this one.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Glad you enjoyed it! I get more bergamot from Ennerdale with a floral note. If you like that one, you will definitely enjoy other Lakeland offerings.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Good write up! I enjoy Ennerdale but I can’t smoke it for long stretches of time as I get sick of it pretty quick. Every couple of months or so I’ll break into my stash and it’s just heavenly so I keep it around as a “treat tobacco” and I tend to prefer it in the winter time and I’ve found that Kendal Flake is perfect for the summer. Dark Flake Scented is still my absolute favorite from the GH&Co. lineup but I think Westmorland Slices would take over that position if it were available here in the States. Westmorland Slices is pretty dang similar to the out of production Bracken Flake by Sam Gawith so if any of you have mourned the loss of Brack Flake definitely give Westmorland Slices a go if ya can get ahold of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.