PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I see what all the hype is about, the citrus notes really come through, mild yet flavourful. Good to go right out of the tin, rubbed it out and packed the flake. I'm enjoying so much I told work I was stuck in traffic so I can get close to finishing the bowl!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This and Full Virginia Flake have become my two go-to VA flakes. And I was surprised, because the old Dunhill Light Flake was not at all appealing to me. (I called it "extemely light tasting but slightly harsh" back in the mid-1980s.)
But, yeah, I do love this one.
Bob

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Glad to hear that you liked it Brian. This has been one that has been on my list to try and since we seem to have similar tastes in tobacco and pipes I think I am going to have to give this a try.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
yaz - remind me to bring some DHF next Morley's. It's high on my Top200 Cellar and is my morning puff frequently. It sets up my palate for the day nicely. It's lighter and more citrusy than the Klondike Gold.
If you really get into DHF, after a few tins under your belt, I'll pop some old DH Light Flake and we can do a vertical taste test. Fortunately, the new Orlik is pretty close. These light bright VAs don't deepen and age the way the heavier ones do.
hp

les

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'm by no means a flake connoisseur but this is just great. After a finicky start to get it lit properly it then stayed lit and just a nice subtle smoke the rest of the way. Dan you'll love it. On sale at smoking pipes right now too. I see a significant order in my near future.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
This is one of my normal smokes. I recommend cube-cutting it rather than rubbing it out. The difference is very noticeable and I think it's for the better.
I agree with everything you said about it. Its perfect to go right out of the tin! Its my standard for a straight-up Virginia flake. No surprises and nothing fancy. Just quality, flavorful Virginia tobacco.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'll try it homeasea but I've never had good luck with cube cutting any flakes. I know it comes highly recommended to prepare that way, but I never seem to get it to pack right or stay lit when I use that method. My best success has been with rubbing it out to a broken flake, swirl pack and go. I've had moderate success with fold and stuff but cube cutting has been a complete dud for me. I'll try half a flake that way for this one but I won't hold my breath.

homeatsea

Mar 6, 2013
Fair enough. Whatever works best for you! Especially if you're already enjoying it.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I have a delivery of ten tins scheduled for Teusday, to add to the ten eight tins I have now. :lol:

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
That's the plan for myself as well, putting in the order a little later today. I unfortunately only have 1 tin right now, but that will change! :lol:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Anyone personally compared this to Royal Yacht? They're both bascially straight Va with some sort of very slight unidentifiable topping. I'm just curious if and how they differ, other than one being a flake and the other not.

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
This is a good one. I prefer to fold and stuff flakes. I don't think I have the experience under my belt to tell any difference between cube cutting and rubbing them out over the fold and stuff method. Glad to hear you enjoyed it and had a great smoke!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Funny, I fired up a bowl of DF in a Radice Clear scoop just before logging on. Almost at the end of my first tin and I will definitely be ordering more. Great, mellow smoke! Glad you're enjoying.

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
For many many years this was my staple everyday smoke. It was around $ 3.95 a tin when I started smoking it and I stayed with it until it hit the ungodly amount of $10 a tin. Then I switched to McClelland Virginia. I had always hoped they would package it in bulk like they did Early Morning. I still have about 15 tins left from the old days.
I think it was and probably still is a hidden gem.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
A Dunhill blend a hidden gem?
I've only heard great things about all the Dunhill blends.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Dunhill Flake is basically the only non-lat heavy blend I smoke. Excellent stuff.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
I just popped my first tin of it last week. I took advantage of the SP sale to try it out. At just over $7 a tin I couldn't pass it up.

B

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Funny, I get notes of chocolate coming in and out when I smoke it. It's been awhile, might have to give it another try.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Awhile back I tried a tin and was meh. But then in a trade I ended up with ten tins from 2010 and popped one of those the other day. The difference was amazing. I normally only go for the fuller flavored flakes but this one has found a spot in my rotation. Like RM said, it is much better than the Dunhill Light Flake from years ago.

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
According the the P&C calendar, the month of March is going to be a 3 for 2 deal on Dunhill tins. Would be a good time to stock up on some Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.