PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
There has been a lot of bandwidth spent on pipe forums with a myriad of opinions expressed about the Dunhill pipe brand. They have their diehard devotees, those who only smoke certain years, finishes, shapes or styles. There are those who can take them or leave them, those who turn their noses up at them, those who turn then noses up at those who turn their noses up. Then you have the "not worth the money" crowd, the "retain their value, so worth the money" crowd and the "they might be good, but no pipe is worth more than $50 and my cobs smoke great" crowd. I enjoy the interaction with any and all pipe smokers with whom I've crossed paths on these forums. Occasionally, there are differences of opinion, but hey, opinions are like a certain bodily orifice, right?
Why the long preamble? Well, there are those who might find the acquisition of a brand new Dunhill pipe to be something insane, or something they would never do (after all, everyone knows that after 1960, everything went in the crapper, right?:D) But for me, there is still a great mystique about this brand. A brand that has stood the test of time through high quality, great marketing and more than a little bit of sharp business acumen. So, when I received this black box with "The White Spot" on it, I admit my heart raced and my excitement grew. Opening it up and turning the pipe this way and that, examining the exquisite fit and finish on the pipe and judging it to be quite something. The draw is smooth and the bit is comfortable. I haven't filled it and smoked it yet, but that moment is coming (if the darn rain ever lets up). There is just something I find very cool about a Dunhill pipe and this moment is something I will only have once, so I'm planning to enjoy it.
TL;DR

I GOT A NEW DUNHILL AND I'M STOKED!
Anyway, pics or it didn't happen, right?
IMG_7673_zps90322ee3.jpg

IMG_7671_zpsb72243c7.jpg

IMG_7668_zps771156c4.jpg

IMG_7663_zpsa6cc6d2b.jpg

IMG_7650_zps031f85dd.jpg

IMG_7662_zpsa5882042.jpg

IMG_7677_zps0a0bd9c0.jpg

IMG_7693_zps9176bdf9.jpg

IMG_7694_zps015598ca.jpg

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Congrats and a very handsome pipe, probably my fav shape from them.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
Congrats! There's nothing like your first Dunhill. FWIW Dunhill changed over in '69 not '60. ;)

If you didn't realize it yours was made in 2012 and IMO the nomenclature is much nicer than the "White Spot" markings that started in late 2012/2013.
:D
Thanks, yeah, I was being somewhat facetious. I've got a '69 Shell Briar Canadian that smokes wonderfully and I had a '64 Bruyere that moved onto a new home. This is just my first new, new Dunhill, as opposed to estate. I haven't seen the new markings, so I'll have to keep an eye out.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
There has been a lot of bandwidth spent on pipe forums with a myriad of opinions expressed about the Dunhill pipe brand. They have their diehard devotees, those who only smoke certain years, finishes, shapes or styles. There are those who can take them or leave them, those who turn their noses up at them, those who turn then noses up at those who turn their noses up. Then you have the "not worth the money" crowd, the "retain their value, so worth the money" crowd and the "they might be good, but no pipe is worth more than $50 and my cobs smoke great" crowd. I enjoy the interaction with any and all pipe smokers with whom I've crossed paths on these forums. Occasionally, there are differences of opinion, but hey, opinions are like a certain bodily orifice, right?
This sums it up about as well as it can be summed up - good job!
And big congrats on your new Dunhill - she's a beauty! I'm just a little green with envy (just a little). :puffy:

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
Congrats on your New Dunhill
You forgot this group: "Would like to get a Dunhill to see what they are like but can't afford one crowd"

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen.
Congrats on your New Dunhill
You forgot this group: "Would like to get a Dunhill to see what they are like but can't afford one crowd"

:D
I probably missed quite a few "crowds", but I figured I'd better keep it at least somewhat brief.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Congrats. It's great to see such enthusiasm over your new pipe. Shape and finish are both classic Dunhill.

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
I have quite a few myself and the one word that comes to my mind is "classic" as yours most certainly is. Thanks

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Lovely shape and fine blast. Looks like you picked a winner. Congrats and enjoy!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Jd
I think you did a great job 'summing up'the Dunhill crowds, really hitting the nail on the head.
If anyone has had the pleasure of going into a Dunhill store, (there is one in NYC) just experiencing their sales staff is something to experience. One should be aware that this is a Madison Avenue store, and it is very 'uppidy'-not a place that I would shop at ordinarily. I would leave that for my wife :)
Once inside, Not just anyone can show pipes; in my experience they call out the pipe expert on duty, and take you downstairs to the pipe lounge (no smoking allowed) area where there are some pipes on display, and then take you to a humongous dark stained wood cabinet with many drawers with all manner of their pipes inside. Before handling the pipe, the sales associate puts on white gloves and then gently hands you the pipe for inspection.
I mean, this is just a class act. Ok. I do not own a brand new Dunhill. My wife 2 xmas' ago bought me a triple flame Dunhill group 4 bent along with one of their magnificient burl humidors/piperack. I couldn't believe she did that even though she really doesn't want me to smoke. But she knows I get into these hobby things and this is my current passion.
Anyway, I returned the pipe to the store (I kept the humidor-it is beautiful) because for that amount of money I could buy lots of estate dunhills, and I just couldn't take a match to a thing that costs that much...
To the point; I just know that there are pipes out there (Rad Davis' for one artisan example) that smoke better than any of my Dunhills in my small collection, but man, I just don't want to give any of my Dunhill's up. There is something about these pipes that I love; the fit, the finish, the history, the power of that name. I'm not sure what it is, but for those of you guys who haven't owned one yet, find one on Ebay and try it for yourself.
What's the worse that could happen? You can always sell it.
My thoughts

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
If anyone has had the pleasure of going into a Dunhill store, (there is one in NYC) just experiencing their sales staff is something to experience.
Thanks Allan for that walk through. I've never been, but was interesting to do it vicariously. Not sure I'd feel comfortable either in that setting, but must be quite the experience!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Frankly, Six, I'm not comfortable in that situation either. Very intimidating to me, being a 'Bronx Boy' all my life.
Still, to see all of those pipes all together...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
That is a great classic looking Dunhill. I think you should always do what gives you enjoyment and never let anyone tell you what you should enjoy. If one of your life's goals was to buy a brand new Dunhill then that is what you should do. I hope the pipe smokes great for you and that you love it for years to come. Congrats on your first new Dunhill pipe. Please let us know after you smoke it and if it meets your expectations.

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I smoked two half bowls of MM 965 in it last night and the experience was wonderful. The pipe smokes really nicely, draws well is very comfortable in the hand and the teeth. I am more than pleased and was ogling the Cumberland version already, though I did not pull the trigger :D

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
JD:
That is a lovely shell briar. Looking at your photos I thought, well, there it is. Look at the fit of the stem to the shank. Look at the bowl, perfectly shaped. The blast is so artistic. Look at the overall shape of the pipe's construction. Nothing like it, really.
Yep, that's a Dunhill.
I own a couple. I was lucky to purchase them when I was still working. Now that I am retired, I smoke them and relish the wonders of a Dunhill pipe.
I guess I fit in the crowd that is just thankful I was able to purchase a couple. I smoke only Vas in one and English in the other.
Like you, my first bowl in the Dunhill set aside for English blends was 965. Of course. It had to be, right!
Thanks for the memories and congratulations on your beautiful Dunhill.
It will be a great smoker and heirloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.