My First Barling Pipe, Pre Transition

(42 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from jpmcwjr
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

With the help of our resident Barling expert Jesse, I have finally purchased my first Barling. Jesse has been working with me for a few weeks explaining why(jesse was very patient with me as I was probably a pain in the ass) one particular Barling is better than others. I finally scored one on ebay for what I thought was a very good deal considering how much a nice Pre Transition Barling goes for. I am very excited to finally try a Barling as there are so many who feel it is the best smoking of all the older British pipes. Jesse, any way to tell the age of this?

Harris
    Posted 3 years ago #
  2. stanlaurel

stanlaurel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm too clueless to realize the significance of the pedigree of the pipe, but it's a beauty.

Posted 3 years ago #
  3. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Harris, nice looking pipe. I have found Barling's Pot shapes, and their variations, to be EXCELLENT smokers. Rough date range 1945-61. Any markings on the underside of the stem?

Dave
    Duke Street Irregular
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. deuce26

deuce26

Login to Send PM

Very happy for you. I have been looking for one myself. Enjoy!

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Harris,

Congrats! Hopefully this will be one of those "magic" Barlings, like the first one that I bought. I put my Dunhills in the drawer and never looked back.
    The logo looks typical for a mid 1940's and later piece. Maybe mid '40's through mid '50's. Look at the underside of the stem where it meets the shank and see if there's a remnant of the underside stamping. If there is the word "reg'd" with a number underneath then it's 1941 thru 1950. If it says "Barling Design", then it's 1950 and later. This was a pretty shallow stamp, and this pipe has seen a buffer a number of times, so the stamp may be completely eradicated, or just barely detectable with a magnifier and light.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

jesse, from the ebay listing he says this.
    "MARKINGS: BARLING'S MAKE YE OLDE WOOD 243 T.V.F. MADE IN ENGLAND EXEL"

He also says it is in great condition so I am hoping it is just the lighting that may make the nomenclature look rather shallow.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats, Harris! Glad to see you get a Barling. Hope it lives up to expectations, which I'm sure it will.

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jim, if it does not live up to my expectations, jesse said he will buy it from me and throw in an extra hundred for my inconvienience.

Posted 3 years ago #
  9. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice, I was watching that auction and decided at the last minute not to make a go at it. I hope it shines!

Bob

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. jkrug

jkrug

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a sharp pipe Harris and a nifty little stand too.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

elpfeife

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Now that you have started off on a new acquisition trail, Harris, please let me know when you are ready to start selling off some Rads to fund the old Brits!

Posted 3 years ago #
  12. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Congrats on the pipe! I've always wanted a pre-transition Barling as well, but am yet to pull the trigger. I just haven't found one yet. There's a nice billiard that's always on the bay, but it just keeps getting relisted because it never brings the seller's reserve. I hope to own one someday. I hope this one is a real performer for you. It makes me want one even more after @sablebrush52 mentioning that his first one made him put his Dunhill's in the drawer.

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. dmcmtk

dmcmtk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was just looking at the picture of the underside of the stem from the auction, there is something there... Have a good glass or a loupe ready when you get the pipe.

Posted 3 years ago #
  14. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

jim, if it does not live up to my expectations, jesse said he will buy it from me and throw in an extra hundred for my inconvienience.

I did. Monopoly money. I also added a "Get Out Of Jail Free" card. Harris was thrilled. Then again, I can put some shiny pebbles in front of Harris and he will be equally thrilled.

He also says it is in great condition so I am hoping it is just the lighting that may make the nomenclature look rather shallow.

Several of my favorite Barlings are well used, over buffed, banged up pieces that I picked up for pennies. Now I know why these were so well loved.

Posted 3 years ago #
  15. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And here I have been laboring under the false belief that only saddle stem Barlings had the Reg. No. on the underside of the stem.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 3 years ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

elpfeife, ain't happening, especially since I just added my 20th Rad to the collection, next stop 25. lol

dmcmtk, I do have a magnifying glass to use. Could this "T.V.F. MADE IN ENGLAND EXEL" be at the bottom of the pipe or would it be on the side?

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

dmcmtk, I do have a magnifying glass to use. Could this "T.V.F. MADE IN ENGLAND EXEL" be at the bottom of the pipe or would it be on the side?

What we would like you to look for is on the underside of the stem, near where it meets the shank. If the pipe is 1950 or later it will have the words "Barling Design" stamped into the vulcanite. If the pipe has "reg'd" with a number underneath it dates between 1941, or more likely 45, and 1950. This is a stem stamp. Not a shank stamp.

The TVF stamp is on the shank to the right of the Barling's Make stamp.
    The "MADE IN ENGLAND" and EXEL stamps are on the shank on the other side.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's a beauty all right !

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A beauty for sure. And, yes, Jesse is both patient and kind. I took a newly acquired Barling to the WCPS and showed it to him. He didn't sneer, nor did he drool, so I guess mine is a middling piece.....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  20. fordm60

fordm60

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice pipe Harris! I love the grain and the bit. I think you did very well and as Jesse agrees you definitely did well.

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys.

Jesse, thanks for the info, can't wait to see the markings.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I absolutely love the stem on this pipe, inn curious to hear your impressions on comfort once you get her.

Are you a clencher?

Doc

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

doc, yes I am a clencher and cannot wait to see how the stem feels. I have heard the stems on a Barling are special.

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. styler

styler

Login to Send PM

That's a nice looking pipe, I hope it smokes well for you.

I'm trying to build a starter selection of briars for a reasonable price via ebay. Do you have any tips on what to look for in a Barling auction?

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

I'm trying to build a starter selection of briars for a reasonable price via ebay. Do you have any tips on what to look for in a Barling auction?

My best buys have come from auctions that share the same basic factors:

Amateur sellers who are making a few bucks selling grandpa's estate, or stuff they bought at a garage sale. Dealers with a following tend to generate higher prices for the goods they sell.

Ugly photography. The single most important element in an eBay auction is the photography. Bad photography = low bids. I'm good at "reading" photographs, and experienced enough to contact the sellers to request more images when the ones that I've seen leave more questions than provide answers. It's also surprising how many sellers will send you updated pictures without posting them to their listing, which means that you have an advantage over your competition.

Unrestored pipes with good bones. A dirty pipe, fresh from Grandpa's sock drawer, or the attic, but which looks to be in pretty good shape underneath the grime, can often be picked up for a bargain price.

Patience. Watch a lot of auctions for the item you are interested in buying before you start bidding. You'll get a sense of the market, the range of prices vs styles and condition. You reduce your chances of becoming roadkill.

Information. See something you're interested in but about which you have questions? Contact the seller and get your questions answered. If the seller isn't helpful, DON'T BID!

Good luck!

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Damn -- somebody else has it figured out too !

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Damn -- somebody else has it figured out too !

LOL!

Posted 3 years ago #
  28. doctorbob

doctorbob

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Also, with crappy pictures I will save them and run them through editing software to adjust brightness and contrast. You would be surprised how well hidden flaws will pop out just by brightening the picture.

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jesse, I am one lazy bastard so I only go for pipes that have been restored to a pristine condition. I have gotten some great deals over the years so I don't mind my system. This one I just bought has been restored and I thought I got a pretty good deal, after watching prices for the last month or so.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Dear Lazy Bastard,

You did get a good deal, better than you deserve. My bill for services rendered, $23,587.98, is in the mail.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jesse, thanks for the laugh. Of course I will pay your fee, checks in the mail.

I didn't think I would get it for that price either. I did have a much higher bid in, but obviously didn't need it.

Posted 3 years ago #
  32. styler

styler

Login to Send PM

Many thanks for the tips. I fully expect to end up with a couple of duds but hopefully they will be the minority!

Posted 3 years ago #
  33. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoked this pipe first thing today and here are my impressions. The pipe itself is in great shape. The bowl had no cake so I could see if there were any issues and there were none. The walls are nice and thick and I did get a nice cool smoke. The pipe smoked dry as could be and the flavor of the tobacco I chose(2001 Rotary Navy Cut) was great. Now to the only complaint I had, the stem was ok but not as comfortable as my No American artisan pipes. The stem was thin enough, but the button was not as pronounced as I like so it was a little difficult clenching at times. I could find that one place where it was fitting my teeth ok, but I had to clench harder to keep it from falling out of my mouth. I think with more smoking I will figure it out.

I am really looking forward to smoking this pipe with a dimes worth of cake as it will smoke even better than it does now. I really am pleased with my first Barling and I am sure I will buy more.

Jesse, there are no markings on the underside of the pipe and I see no indentations of anything worn out, outside under the sun with a magnifying glass. There is a cross on the stem that is pretty worn, is that the barling logo?

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Hi Harris,

I'm pleased that you picked a good smoker! Mine smoke very dry and I find the draw easy. The cross is the stem logo, which consists of the word "Barling" crossing.

I find the tapered Barling stems not the best for clenching as their contour is convex right to the button. If the button has been buffed down it doesn't leave a lot of grip.

If you decide to buy another one, go for a saddle bit. That wide flat surface is easy to grip, stable, and very comfortable. With the exception of my early Barlings I tend to buy saddle bits for that reason.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

De gustibus.

Missing the clenching molar @ left, I put them to the inside of the left canine. In which position the old "domed" ones are surprisingly comfortable.

Then again, you don't expect a retired Appalachian to have all that many teeth left, so that might not be an observation useful as a generalisation

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jesse, thanks for the tip about saddle stems. Is there anyway to give me an idea of how old this pipe is?

Billkay, being an old guy, I was able to find one place amongst my chipped teeth that worked some.

Posted 3 years ago #
  37. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

A stem marking would be helpful, but I'd guess mid 1940's to early 1950's.

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Welcome to the Barling Club, a very beautiful pipe indeed.

Here is one of my first Barling Pipe. A Corporate Era Pot in Group 6 (King)

Cheers,
    Chris

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  39. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Club? There's a Barling Club? I bought my first Barling five decades ago, so can I be a member emeritus??

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jesse, I was expecting year, month, day, hour of day as to when my pipe was made, 40's to 50's is way to big a spread, you will have to do better.

chris, very cool pipe, love the blast.

Posted 3 years ago #
  41. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@jpm Of course you are in, if and after The Barling King Jesse gives the nod ahead Would love to see your collection. I wasnt even born in the 50's lol, oh wait my Late father was born in 1953

@cigrmastr Thanks Harris, it was a valuable ebay find for the price of 10oz of Six Pence

Chris

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@ Chris-

Ok, so I am older than your late father! Almost as old as dirt..... Sorry for your loss.

Thanks! I will ask Jesse, then.... My "collection" consists of three Barlings, one I bought new 50 years ago, and two I got as estates just before the WCPS. Jesse has seen and handled one of them. Oh, tomorrow, it should be four; just ordered a sort of Hungarian sitter apparently from the 60's.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jaytex969, laniromee, jpmcwjr, cdmjr, jiminks, danimalia