PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been looking to purchase a bamboo pipe because I have grown to like the look. I have also found that they are normally very light weight pipes. This one is a Jody Davis Cardinal grade and it is an estate piece. It is a smaller group 5 and it weighs only 38 grams. I am smoking it as I type and it smokes great, cool and dry and it has a very comfortable vulcanite stem.

DSCF0002.jpg

JODYDAVIS.jpg

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Woah, that's a functioning piece of art right there. Forgive my ignorance, but what are the "beads" on the raised edges of the shank? Congratulations, Harris, she's a beaut!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations Harris on your new pipe. It is beautiful. I hope it provides many years of good service.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for the nice comments guys, it is appreciated.
Bradley, from what I have read and from people I have talked to you do have to be a little more careful with bamboo. It is not as hard as briar so cracking a shank is easier. This one will never leave the house.
kasbah, I honestly don't know if that is standard on bamboo or not. I do think they are cool looking though. I will have to do some research on that.

kasbah

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 26, 2012
Please do let us know what you find out in regards to the beading, I'm very interested to know if it's a natural effect or stylization.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Very nice cigrmaster, congrats! I too like the look of bamboo but have wondered about the durability.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Gorgeous pipe Harris - love the stain on the pipe - contrasts beautifully with the bamboo - and the black stem complements it perfectly. I also love that he put cut into the stem to join with the bamboo - that's the sign of a true artist!

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Beautiful pipe, Harris. I like bamboo stems, although I don't have any. Some that I have seen miss the mark. This pipe is beautifully designed and the color of the stain is a perfect match. How does the balance feel compared to a briar shanked pipe?
Regarding the beading; I have seen that on other bamboo stems. I'm pretty sure it's a point where shoots grew out of the branch.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
"I also love that he put cut into the stem to join with the bamboo - that's the sign of a true artist!"
Exactly. This was a feature that only the top end Danes did up until a few years ago.
The beads in the bamboo "divots" (there's a word for them, but I don't remember what it is) are often epoxy that can be added by the supplier or the carver. They're put there to soften the divots scratchy edges but they're not necessary.

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
One more thing, Harris; from what I've seen, the bamboo will darken nicely with use and age. Somebody mentioned using clarinet bore oil to preserve the bamboo and help prevent cracking and splitting. Amazon has it, ranging from a mineral oil to propretary blends. Has anybody on the forum used it?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks guys for the nice comments. I was told that the epoxy covers the nodules in the bamboo, which are supposed to be more porous. bigvans explanation sounds right also, it looks more decorative with them I think. It should be cool watching the bamboo darken.
john218, thanks for that tip, I will look into that. I would like to do everything I can to protect the bamboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.