PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
Bought a pre-drilled briar, everything went smooth in the shaping, but the grain had some bad spots near the front. I ended up trying my hand as some rustication.
DSC00597.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
wow. how long did it take to make that beauty?

make the pipe stand too?

nice work!

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
Didn't do it all in one sitting, off and on a few hours here and there, over the last week. Nope, didn't make the stand. Thanks.

longshot

Might Stick Around
May 16, 2011
What was the worst part of making it?

I've hand carved wood before, so I wasn't too concerned there, but the dyes were new to me. It's kind of a mystery as your doing it on how the grain will look, so I got a bit nervous during the process, it's hard to tell if your messing it until a bit later in the process. I didn't do any dye checks on the spare wood fragments before hand. That's something I need to add on my next attempt.
Thanks for all the positive feedback!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Longshot, that's a great pipe for a first. Isn't it great looking at something you've made yourself? Having some wood working experience helps, but making a pipe can be a different monster altogether. It is also addicting and can get expensive the more you get into it.
As for the stain, I'd suggest that you stain a darker stain like you did the rustication, then wet sand with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and then go back over it with a light stain. This will bring out any grain and birdseye that might be in the block. You can always sand off any stain job you don't find that you like and stain another color.
I've got a pipe stand just like that one......... And the real dog to match. :)

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
very nice!

i have only done one pre-drilled and i got really lucky with the wood i think. find more flaws redoing old ones. but a very nice job on the rustification. what did you use for your texture?

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Even after long practice sometimes you foul up so don't get discouraged at mistakes as you go along. I badly screwed up drilling one just this evening. I know better than to work when I am too tired but wanted to anyway.

smoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2011
Nice job longshot well done i like it. When you going into production hahahaha

hobojoe

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2011
Real good job. You mentioned carved. what style knife did you use ?

There is power carving and hand carving. The stain ,who's brand did you use?

That pipe has a excellent profile and bark on--- that is what brings the bacon home.

Joe St

Status
Not open for further replies.