PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well since I got a lathe for Christmas I thought I'd turn something. What better for the first attempts than a tamper?
So here we have them! Turned from oak and walnut. Try and guess which came first!
tampers1.jpg

tampers2.jpg

tampers3.jpg

Yes, I did figure out how Unclearthur did that magical little ring. :D

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Most excellent! I use the one you sent me in the first swap whenever I'm outside smoking. The big ends on your new ones are cool but mine had a pointed end which is great for digging at ash and dottle.

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Oh not long OTD. I'm already starting to itch for it and I'm starting to think it'll be awful soon.
I'm glad that you're getting some use out of that! A scoop is definitely going on the next one. The first was a practice run to get myself familiar with the tools having never used a lathe before and the second is going to go to a friend who wanted a straight tamper with no scoop. The lathe adds so many possibilities and a lot of fun to woodworking.
I'm also thinking that it may be a wood lathe but brass may be workable on it. I'm going to have some fun experimenting with that and may be able to turn out a pretty wicked tamper.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
You can turn brass, aluminum, and mild steel on a wood lathe. Ya have to wear shoes, though.

anthony

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Very close Jameral. They're .38.

Buckeye I think I may just be able to swing that. It may not be the best but it could be historic!

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Very close Jameral. They're .38
Hold on just a minute...Jameral guessed .44 and I guessed .357. A .44 is very close to .38 like Texas is very close to Maine. Considering that a .38 slug is actually .357, I was dead on, which means that I win the prize. I'll take the one with the ring. PM me for my mailing address. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.