PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
B17C1536-7E1F-4002-A6D9-024D7E53190B-19099-0000280FDB9A08A2_zpsbbf76564.jpg
At 5 my Grandfathrt gave me a 23, was aiming it, could not shoot over water, and he gave me a bullet one at a time.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Great picture Brad! My first 22 was an old bolt action Sears Ted Williams. My son's first 22 was a Ruger 10/22 with an international stock. Both still shoot great today.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That is a great photo! My first .22 was also bolt action, a Remington 521-T that belonged to my father.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My first gunpowder rifle was a Geico from Germany, sub-.22. I took it on a camping trip to Michigan in my backpack

and we plinked cans, as we couldn't do in suburban Chicago. It was bolt action and nicely machined, a good little

single shot target rifle.

4dotsasieni

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2013
Brad, that brings back memories. My father gave me a Remington bolt action .22 when I was 12. At that time, we had a little place out in the country, with a lake that we had created by damming the creek. We set up a target range on the dam, and I would practice shooting there. Problem was, we had a cocker spaniel appropriately named "Trouble," who couldn't quite get the art of being a retriever right. Each shot, he would run over to the target, and stand in front of it, refusing to come back when called. So I couldn't shoot another round until I ran to the target and forcibly dragged him back.
Later we also found out he was probably the only spaniel in the world who couldn't swim. I had a small kayak that I would paddle out on the lake, and Trouble would stand on the small forward deck. One day he fell in, but I wasn't worried, because he was, after all, a spaniel. Well, he sank like a rock, and I had to jump in and drag him back to the dam and perform what we called in those days "artificial respiration." That was Trouble's last kayak ride.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nice picture Bradley. Also made me think of the many times my Dad took me shooting. I know I was shooting by age 3 (both a 22 revolver and bolt action 22.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That's awesome Bradley! My step grandfather gave me my first .22 when I was about 8 yrs. old, a Marlin Model 60, which I still have. My real grandfather died before I was born and had left all of his guns to my dad and my aunt, or so I though. When I was about 16 my great uncle called me and my dad and wanted us to come and see him. When we got there he said that he had something for me. He went to the closet and pulled out a raggedy looking, hand made gun case and handed it to me. Inside was a beautiful Remington 550-I .22! He said that my grandfather had left it to him with instructions to give it to his first grandchild when they turned 16. Needless to say, it was an emotional experience for all three of us. We then took it into the woods behind my great uncle's house to do some shooting in the same spot my grandfather, my uncle, and my dad were shooting on the day my grandfather died. He was killed in a logging accident in those very woods in 1977. I've since been given another gun that belonged to him, but that one is the most special gun in my collection.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What a great pic! It's great you have that picture.
I recently got my Dad's Remington Nylon 66, which is a hoot to plink with. My daughter enjoys when we go out to my friend's place and go through few hundred rounds of various calibers.
-Jason

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@bobpnm, a Ruger 10/22 is a great choice for a first rifle! They shoot good, they're very reliable and they'll last for ages!
@Jason, I've shot some Nylon 66's before and I was very impressed with them! They're extremely light and accurate! From what I here they're also very reliable, as long as you don't use a liquid lube on them, as they were designed not to be "wet" lubed.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Incidentally, the other gun of my grandfathers that I have is also a .22! It's a High Standard target revolver. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I've put thousands of rounds through it over the years! It was also the first handgun I ever shot. It's accurate as can be, I'd put it up against any S&W any day of the week! Back when I used to shoot it regularly, I could hit paper plates at 100 yards with it all day! I've since bought a couple of other .22 revolvers to plink around with, so the High Standard stays in the safe for the most part. It's one of several safe queens nowadays, including my (almost)NIB S&W Model 29-3 and my American Arms SxS 10ga. (which I do pull out on occasion when somebody wants to see it). I will also take the 10ga. to shoot clays once in a while, just to see the reactions when that big cannon lets loose! LOL!

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I didn't get my first 22 till I was 50. I went from a bb gun to a 12 gauge Model 12 Winchester when I was 13. It's the one on the bottom. Winchester 62A. Can you tell I like Winchesters. :D

3o9v.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Ah, nice....
I learned to shoot during the summer I taught archery at a scout camp. Most of the rifles were Remingtons, but there was one Mossberg in the collection that I just fell in love with. If I find another one for sale somewhere, I'm buying it.
In the meantime, I picked up a Ruger 10/22 of my own, and I inherited my grandfather's old Sears Roebuck bolt action .22, both of which are still in my collection.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
My first .22 was a Ithaca lever action single shot. Loved that gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.