PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I have a lot of pipes. Probably not as many as some members, but I smoke them all, even my 'museum pieces', at least once a month and a few considerably more often than that. I will not sell any, although I may give some as gifts to piping converts. So, a couple of weeks ago I made the commonsense decision to purchase a final pipe, then to rest on my laurels and buy no more.
When I told my Other Half, her eyes glinted wickedly and she said she would like it to be her gift to me at Christmas. You see she thinks I'm mad for buying "other people's old shit" ! lol
As you might imagine I have been tormenting myself with what the very last one should be, and I have been glued to eBay and other sites. I wondered about an ancient Barling's (there is a beautiful example on eBay just now) to complement my WW 1 group, or a Chris Askwith briar to go with his Mortas.
Then, a couple of days ago I was scrutinising the new additions to reborn's site and I saw the one which will complete my collection. It is a Peterson's Patent 1908 Silver Mounted Small Bowl Billiard. I don't have pics, but it can still be seen under 'latest' on his webpage at www.estatepipes.co.uk (or, if he sees this he might post the original images).
It arrived this morning; it is a stunning little article. But before I could load it up it was snatched by my OH who has now hidden it in a secret place. It will be the first pipe I smoke on Christmas morning !! LOL
It is particularly fitting that my final pipe acquisition should be a Peterson's since my very first pipe 12 years ago was an ordinary Peterson's 'System' Bent Billiard.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
flakyjakey, I keep buying my last pipe, so I hope you have better luck with that than I do. No one needs

thirty pipes, nor forty, nor fifty, etc. I guess among the obsessive compulsive ticks, it isn't the worst.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@mso489, so have I but this time I am resolved. I would not be allowed to live it down if I weakened. However my "tic" has now been transferred to collecting tobaccos for my retirement !! LOL

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Here you go flaky :)
738-1-800x800.jpg

738-3-800x800.jpg

Being your last pipe, I know that every time you smoke it, you will think of me :) I'm sure I have lots more here that you will just have to drool over now :D

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flakey, congrats on your last pipe, I have full confidence in you that you will keep your word for now. You do have tobacco in your sites and that will certainly scratch the buying itch. I do predict that once you have completed your cellar, you will be on ebay and the on line dealers buying another pipe the minute your cellar is complete. You are like the rest of us, you can only control either PAD or TAD, but never both. It is not in your nature and there is no reason to fight it, just give in and take comfort in the fact that control is just an illusion.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Good for you flaky. I know I don't have that kind of resolve.
I have accepted that fact that I'll someday buy my last pipe and my cellar will be complete... right before I die :lol:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@harris, please could you counsel Her Indoors? Her name is Pauline, a nurse. Nurses are fearsome creatures! I don't think that even after all these years she understands me !!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Good on ya, flaky! You probably weren't destined to be the guy with the most pipes anyway. Also, there is now a bit less pressure on those still trying amass the most pipes. You are one less guy on the forum they have to worry about breathing down their neck.
I think a couple of dozen pipes should be sufficient. I only buy when I detect a need or a Chevrolet drives past the house; or the sun comes up three days in a row. It has to be a memorable moment.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@warren, you are absolutely correct. I have never been interested in actual numbers, although I have about 70 pipes. My limiting factor has been that I will always smoke ALL my pipes at least once per month. None of my pipes is an unsmoked item of furniture! At 6-9 bowls per day it is not a problem BUT I smoke some pipes more often than others.
Plus, She Who Must Be Obeyed really does think I'm bonkers. So, it's time to rein in them dogies!! LOL

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Flaky: I suspect that you are indeed at the out limits, particularly if you try and run a bit of tobacco through each every month. You are indeed a reasonable man. You may tell her I said that!
(Warn if SWAMBO goes searching for tickets to Alaska.)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
She Who Absolutely Must Be Obeyed
Sorry! My mistake. My wife takes the SWMBO thing to a higher level than most wives.
My daughter is SWIAR - She Who Is Always Right
I did dislike being the only male in the house when my daughter was a teenager. Only man in the house with two ladies. The dog was no help, he always side with SWAMBO or SWWTD (She Who Walks The Dog) as he refers to her.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@warren, very good! But I live with three females (i.e. who tolerate me): a 43 year-old, a 12 year-old and a 4 year-old bitch. All beautiful, so I think I trump you there !! LOL

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@pete, thanks, I doubt I will have much choice in the matter. Note that this old pipe is cross-cut with +++ birdseye grain on the front and back of the bowl (best seen in the website pics)

Dec 24, 2012
Sweet pipe Flakey. And I like that bacciflap too - I have been looking for one of those on flabby. Nice grab. I am sure this won't really be your last.

Status
Not open for further replies.