PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I placed what will likely be my final order for a Dunhill tobacco. 4 tins of EMP. At least this time I was prepared and have a decent supply.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, it's kind of sad. I have several tins each of Dunhill and McClellands blends, and I plan to stretch out opening these over some years, so the brands can linger with me for years to come. We'll never see the like of McClellands again, though some blending house will gain ascendency in Virginias as they did. I am more wait-and-see on the Dunhill blends, thinking they could emerge either as good match blends or as a whole line of the same recipes licensed to someone else. I feel the Dunhill line is less final in its being discontinued. The McClellands blends were the purview of two specific people, and unless they come out of retirement, that's the end of the line.

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
Kohlasse and Kopps (Spelling?) have already started releasing their versions of all Dunhill blends. From what I was told, they have the rights to the recipes, but not the names, so they are all very similar, therefore easily identifiable, and the tins look practically the same. (same color, style, font, designs etc...) I have not tried any yet, but Country Squire talked about one of them in the last week or two if you want to go and listen. I would be interested to know if anyone else has tried them, heard anything, about how close they are to the originals.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
I expect the new deeming rules from the FDA will make short work of any matching blends in North America. Our European friends will get to enjoy those.

molach95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2017
I bought the whole line up of Dunhill tins in the last two months, with extras for the few blends I actually liked. My hope is this will be good trading stock for the future

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Looks like Pipes and Cigars is having their end of summer tin sale, plenty of Dunhill blends in stock...

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Dark Flake was my favourite Dunhill blend. I never tried a lot of the others but I will miss seeing them on the market.

barepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2017
For me Dunhill has been a nostalgia brand. In my early days of pipe smoking I found myself in London and paid their store a visit. The guy behind the counter showed me their “my mixture” blend ledgers with literally thousands of custom blends including blends for people like Charlie Chaplin and a variety of other well known pipe smokers.
I walked out with a tin of My Mixture 965 and Jermyn Street and fell in love with high quality pipe tobacco. They helped me along on my journey and though I never smoked a tin of Jermyn Street again I have always had some 965, EMP and Night Cap in my life.

rthbaum

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2012
I just placed an order for 5 tins of EMP. I enjoy it in a cob while tinkering around on the weekends. But I have recently discovered Piccadilly and think it is similar and better. I am starting to get a little nervous and starting to increase my cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.