PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
IMG_20151014_175007_zps34jqfizj.jpg.html
TB1ON80IpXXXXXGXVXXXXXXXXXX_0-item_pic_zpsgvqvsb5p.jpg.html

The first picture is what it was originally like, the second is what it now looks like.
This is a Nording tamper I bought a while ago, and it's been my favourite until its demise. It has a bronze head for tamping, and the rest is made of some sort of plastic material, the other end is a pointy scoop that I'm sure it's meant to be used as both a pick and a spoon for clearing the bowl. Today after cleaning out the ash from the bowl of my pipe, I noticed the plastic tip was slightly burnt and it's no longer pointy, plus some sharp bits formed on the end; I guess it's because I tried to scoop out the ash whilst it's still hot.
Partly out of curiousity and partly out of anger that I damaged a good tamper, I set fire to it. What I didn't anticipate is just how easy the plastic scoop/handle caught fire; literally a touch from my lighter, and the plastic burst into flame. After like 3 minutes, the bronze head is all that there is left.
So now I'm off to buy another tamper, and this time, I'll be sure to avoid a tamper made of flamable material.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Exactly, who would think of designing something that's associated with fire out of something that can catch fire? But I guess I really should have waited until the ash has cooled before putting it in.

While plastic does seem to be an odd material to use in a tamp, it really shouldn't have gotten hot enough to melt, with normal use. But of course, what constitutes normal use? You must have had some serious fire going on in that bowl. Losing a favorite tamper stinks. I hate that for you.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
Have you thought of reusing the brass piece in a piece of nice hardwood? Pretty sure it would still work for a nice tamper, and you could shape the wood anyway you want.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Great idea jeepnewbie. Cosmic makes a hell of a tamper. Look him up on Etsy, well worth the trouble. :worship:

They are silver so you cannot blow torch them, but they are beautiful and work great in my pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm a cheap ass. Lost an expensive tamper years ago, and bought a bag of pipe nails. Still have a nice cumberland tamper for my Weaver pipes, but the cheap little nails are my go to.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tampers make great collectibles and I've seen some extraordinary examples. Yet, I have always been smitten by the utility and simplicity of the pipe nail and the horseshoe nail, that perform most of the functions of the already-simple Czech tool but with even sparer design. The magic is that because they only cost a buck or less, you do not lose them as you might a beautifully carved or turned tamper. A pipe nail can find you in the dark and follow you home from the Amazon. If pipe smoking is serenity, the pipe nail is there.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I only had this tamper for a few months. It's small, light and simplistic, I bring it wherever I go. Again I'm not sure what materil it really is, but it feels like plastic. Yesterday I just finished smoking a bowl, realising there's nothing but ash left, I dipped the scoop end of the tamper into the bowl of still burning ash, in attempt to loosen it and dump it out. If this had been a Czech tool, everything would have been fine, but sadly it's not. Afterwards I noticed the end is melted.

perlasca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 11, 2015
who would think of designing something that's associated with fire out of something that can catch fire?

I thought the same thing, then I thought, Hey wait a sec here. I looked over and I use wooden dowel lol.

I also use my Czech Tool.
I hope you find something cool. I think I may add something flashy to my next tobacco order too.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
@perlasca: but even wood is more fire-resistant than plastic, especially briar. I'm getting a Peterson crystal tamper, always wanted one.

pcr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2014
Yep, I use a wooden dowel in the casing from my .45 ACP

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Tampers make great collectibles and I've seen some extraordinary examples. Yet, I have always been smitten by the utility and simplicity of the pipe nail and the horseshoe nail, that perform most of the functions of the already-simple Czech tool but with even sparer design. The magic is that because they only cost a buck or less, you do not lose them as you might a beautifully carved or turned tamper. A pipe nail can find you in the dark and follow you home from the Amazon. If pipe smoking is serenity, the pipe nail is there.
Damn, I love your comments. "follow you home from the Amazon" What can describe a cheap pipe nail better than that?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you kindly, jvnshr. On tampers, in a pinch there is always the ever-poplular wooden golf tee. The pointed end isn't an ideal scoop, but it does most of the job.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Ditto on the golf tee, MSO.
I forgot my pipe tool this morning and only realized it after I began my commute. I used a pair of pliars to removed the eraser and metal eraser fastener from a pencil. I used the pointy end to stir the ashes and the opposite end as the tamper. Not pretty but did the job.
My favorite tool, of which I own three, is one made by Mr. Brogg, costing about 6 bucks.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have a folding pipe tool I got 40 years ago, tamper, pick and round-ended reamer knife. And a couple hand carved briar ones, one of which has a pick that unscrews from inside. None are better than a pipe nail, and if I travel I bring one of those because it's cheap to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.