My Favorite Shape: the Skater. Know of Any out There for Sale?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I have searched all over the place and it's tough to find a good looking, new skater.

I recently bought a vintage Hilson skater at P&C for $50. It's nice but it's not quite as nice as I would have liked. A bit small. Seems very machined.
There's a beautiful Beckler Meer at smokingpipes. I bought that exact pipe this time last year and I loved it. I had to return it because it actually didn't pass a pipe cleaner. Well, it passed it, but the pipe cleaner continued under the bowl revealing a bit of a mis-drill - I asked them if they could fix it, but they preferred just to credit my account. I loved that pipe.
Other than this, I have seen a few estate Charatans.
If you happen to come across any nice looking Skaters, feel free to shoot me a link or post here. I would greatly appreciate it. -Geoff

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Check this one out brother. I have a couple Randy Wileys. Great artisan and this is one is a real looker at a fair price.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/randy-wiley/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=215347

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Well, that would be nice... see them time from time... though some American and Italian pipemakers occasionally make one. Love/Hate shapes tend to disappear quickly.
Here's the one Dave has at his site... I think the price is okay ($225), but not quite the skater shape I am looking for...

http://www.mkelaw-pipes.com/html/pipee3071.html

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That Ropp is a cutie, but at .70 ounces it's also a small one. Small pipes can do a lot, especially with flake/plug/coin/rope cut tobacco. But if you want a medium size pipe or larger, this may not fill the bill. I came to small pipes late, but with a little push from fishnbanjo, I have bought several of them.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Ken Erickson Skater
$_1.JPG

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I like that shank too, and look at that grain! 8O Plus it's on pipestud's eBay shop.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is one shape that you don't see much anymore. I don't think anyone is producing it now. I had two Yellobole skaters in the 80's, and they were Brylon. The two skater shapes I have now are one by Sam Martin, and another that looks like a Charatan but is marked C.B.P. Benchmark. Your best bet would be to ask someone like Ryan Alden to make one for you, or scour the estate market. I see Charatans pop in on eBay from time to time.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I hope no one had their hearts set on the Tinderbox/Charatan Theloniousmonkfish posted. I showed it to my girlfriend remarking how much I liked the shape and she bought it for my Birthday. Thanks Thelonious !! :oops:

lasttango

Sep 29, 2012
Thought I'd revive this thread since I was the OP. Since I posted this last year, I did pick up an unsmoked Upshall Skater and an unsmoked Charatan Skater... Both are size 5/6 and sandblasted black.
I picked up some heavier smoked estates, but they ended up not being appealing as they were too broken in.
I'd love one with great flame grain and a light/natural finish.
Some folks mentioned having one commissioned by someone. Ryan Alden was a name that was posted. I don't know him well, though his pipes look great. I bet Bill Shalosky would make a great skater. I don't know if I could afford his work. I imagine it would be closer to $500. Anyone else come to mind that might do a nice skater?

Status
Not open for further replies.