PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
I figured I had to try Middleton's incarnation of this venerable tobacco, just to appreciate it as a benchmark. My socks are not knocked off, but it's quire decent. This serviceable burley is on par with Carter Hall, but noticeably different. It packs, lights, and burns nicely. I can see why it has lasted...

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I've been smoking some Sir Walter as of late. A very nice smoke when I'm in the mood for it...

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I do dearly love Prince Albert in a cob. If I had to answer one of those horrific "one pipe, one blend forever and ever" things, PA and a cob is probably the closest I could come.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Same here. It pairs perfectly with a cob and long days. Thus, both fun and useful. They just need to make a high Nicotine version.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Had some family issues out of town this week, and bought a tub each of PA, CH, and SWRA in a tobacco store I found there. All good in cobs!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I just got my first pouch of Half & Half today. So far so good. Prince Albert is next on my list of OTC's. SWR and CH do just fine for me. I've not the stomach for Borkum Riff; Paladin Cherry has quickly worn out its welcome. So, do any of you have Prince Albert in a can? :wink:

zerohunter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2017
I gave PA a try, but it scorched my throat. Anyone else have this happen? CH on the other hand does not hate my body chemistry...

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
give Velvet a try as well

Never heard of it. Thanks for the tip Cap! 8)

it scorched my throat. Anyone else have this happen

That's what the Paladin does. I dried it out and it doesn't scorch near as bad. It just still tastes like crap.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I actually like Paladin. One I don't think I'll ever be able to master though is anything Borkum Riff.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I wouldn't feel proper w/o some SWR, CH, PA, Halfx2, burley to select from.

I buy them in tubs, and have found that each has its own flavor profile, while being similarly pleasant tobacco experiences.

There are lots of other burley blends worth smoking, within this sort of middle of the road, straight forward, easy loading cut tobacco.

One I found to be right there with em is PS 702.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The last time I smoked Prince Albert was two years ago. I smoked I think 4 bowls back to back in my Grabow Duke while driving. I split the shank from the stem, about a half inch, and tobacco liquid was leaking out onto my hand. Strange day...

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Prince Albert was the second pipe tobacco blend I tried 50 yrs ago and it is still one of my favorites. I like to mix it 60/30 with 5 Brothers for that extra kick.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I like to mix it 60/30 with 5 Brothers for that extra kick.
This is also good advice. If you have an extra pinch of Five Brothers, putting it at the bottom of the bowl absorbs any extra moisture. Perhaps the reason that Prince Albert tastes so good from the pouch is that it dries out a bit.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
60/30? What's the other 10%?
IMO, PA does taste better from the pouch than the tub, but others feel the exact opposite is true. Whether it has to do with drying or not I couldn't say, but something is different between the two.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
60% PA to 40% 5 Brothers.
This is the optimal formula for Five Brothers mixing in general. It strengthens and mellows most blends, which paradoxically allows the original flavor to shine more than it did on its own.
Sometimes this is reversed, for especially bitter blends for example. I have a jar here of 50-50 Straight Grain Flake (SGF) and Five Brothers, and next time might err on the side of more of the latter...

Status
Not open for further replies.