PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
2v2Jz7DJFx3L6Bn.jpg
Autumn has arrived on schedule and with a vengeance. We started up the woodstove the other day, as overnight temps are now dropping into the 30's. Accordingly, the RH in the house has dropped from 80% last week to....
2v2Jz7Da5x3L6Bn.jpg
Time to break out the humidifiers!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ditto! We have a wonderful 6 year old lab/something. Everyone thinks he's a full lab, but has a touch of something else. Rescue pup from 5 years ago.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
My entire house is a cigar humidor. I live in a temperate rainforest and have a hard time drying pipe tobacco but don't have to do much to maintain the cigar collection. Pros and cons to everything I guess...
Looks like a nice fire and dog to sit and smoke a pipe with.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks! I sandblasted and pointed it several years back. It didn't look quite as nice before.....

2v2uL12Byx3L6Bn.jpg
Tented for sandblasting:

2v2uL12fFx3L6Bn.jpg
After sandblasting:

2v2uL13WGx3L6Bn.jpg
Almost finished:

2v2uL1vcyx3L6Bn.jpg

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
That's an amazing transformation. You turned a tired looking fireplace into a centerpiece for the room. Smart of you to remove the fire bricks and take it back to the stone, and then put in the wood stove. And the flagstones are a great compliment. Are they slate? The fireplace itself now looks like it could have been built a couple of centuries ago.
We have a large granite field-stone fireplace at the cottage. I did some re-pointing in August but I'll have more to do come spring. We don't use it because of insurance hassles, no company will insure us as there is no insert. We do however have a wood stove for heating. You've got me thinking however of doing something along the lines of what you have. Thanks for sharing.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Thanks!
It took me a year to finish it, so I only really see the transformation when I look at the pictures.
The mantle and hearth are bluestone, easy to come by around here. After I sand blasted the granite, I chipped the pointing out, back to the mortar. It was interesting to find folded up wedges of old newspaper, in German script from the 1930's, wedged in to hold the stones in place while the mortar set. This was a predominantly Pennsylvania German area up through the 1970's, when the small farms staring closing down and folks "from away" started moving in to new subdivisions.
The chimney wasn't heat-tight (didn't have a cap on it until we bought the house), so we installed a liner, then had insulation blown around it. Since the chimney goes up the center of the house, it stays warm and draws very well. My only regret was that we should have gone with a somewhat larger stove. It's perfect for temps into the 20's, but below that we're running it too wide open and that isn't very efficient. We'll probably replace it over the summer with another Jotul.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Super job. Getting rid of the Egyptian tomb accents around the box was a good move, and must have been fun! (OK, maybe color scheme of the original owner's druthers)

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bluto: Firewood is ash and hickory. Floor is oak.
John: Destructing things is always fun, up to a point. I used an air chisel on the firebrick and pointing, and I'm pretty sure that I did some permanent damage to my arm and shoulder!

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Nothing like a nice hardwood fire
We usually burn softwood and hardwood mixture , spruce , fir and birch , smells great

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Bluto, just be sure to run the stack super hot once a day to burn out the creosote, especially if your chimney is on an outside wall. Like a pipe, the goop condenses on cold surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.