PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 27, 2016
The best shot that I have seen so far was the one that the NASA guy took, where the ISS is also in the shot.

These are not that exciting. It was partly-cloudy, which actually worked out well for me since I had a cell-phone camera and no goggles. These are from around when it started, until the sun started moving away from being lined up with the sun. ( ~80% totality where I was.)
36345767280_66fb8fcf1d_z.jpg

36345772560_da797db958_z.jpg

36345776710_1b4d56ce1e_z.jpg

36602579951_c856b48595_z.jpg

36572000002_ebebf91a0b_z.jpg

35932379913_bb986c3438_z.jpg

:puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think those are good commemorative shots, show the eclipse well, and actually the clouds lend drama to the event. How did you get the photo without risking your retinas? I'd be proud of those and maybe print and frame your favorite, or in a series in one frame.

Jun 27, 2016
I would scan the sky for approaching cover, while blocking the sun with my hand. I had some shades on, and a hat also. When it looked like clouds were on the way, I used my pinhole viewer on the ground and waited until that would fade. Then I knew that the sun had just gone behind the edge of the cloud. I would hold my phone up and using it to block the sun, I would watch the screen at that point. The periphery around the phone was still pretty bright, so I used my hands to block most of that out. I would generally look away if the clouds got too thin or sun broke through, even with the phone in the way. Since the phone is digital, looking at the screen is OK, and the sun would probably not damage the camera, from what I had read.
For a brief moment, I looked at the eclipse for a second when it was behind some clouds but still visible, and you could tell that that was not a good idea to do for more than a second, probably. This was when it was ~60% covered. If the cloud was dense enough, I could not see it at all and it was basically like looking at a normal cloud.
The cloud cover made for some interesting shots, and the refraction would sometimes place the moons silhouette where it was not really, so I have some chronological shots that seem to have been taken out of place.
Unfortunately, the resolution is obviously pretty bad, but I didn't really plan or think ahead very much for this. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.