PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Decided to gamble a week ago, and got a pipe from Ukraine, I figured if it turns out to be a good smoker, great, if not, I have a new Christmas ornament.

Ukraine_zps66de0711.jpg

I'm hoping my Irish Seconds pipe will be here today.

IrishSecond_zps877a99ee.jpg

And this is a random pipe a family member bought for me on Ebay, but was only $10 after shipping. These pics are big so I'll put them in links instead. Not sure who it's made by, but hopefully someone here may have some ideas. It has the number "4814" stamped on the back also.
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j337/MurdocHughes/Unknown_zps4e8a5989.jpg
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j337/MurdocHughes/Unknown1_zpsedc8051a.jpg

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Wonder if the first pipe is a pear wood or something, similar to Mr. Brog? Second pipe looks to be in good shape. They just might turn out to be good ones for you.

seamusjft

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2012
I've been looking at those decorative ones. be very interested in how it smokes? maybe the horse shoe will bring Yout the luck of the Irish!

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
Okay, I got the 3rd and cheapest one in the mail today, Stamps are as follows
4814, 3 circles one on top of the other two to form almost a clover shape including stem with the letters K B B, Followed by Carburetor, below that LLO-BOLE (presumably Yello-Bole) and beneath that U.S. Pat. OFF. and below that CURED WITH REAL _ _ _ _ _ I believe Yello-Boles were Cured with honey, correct? So it's been established that it's a Kaywoodie Yello-Bole, but what are the holes in the bottom of the bowl for??
DSCN1058_zps49debe70.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
One caveat on the carburetor: Alcohol will leak out the holes when you got to clean it; don't ask how i know :roll:
Your presumptions on the rest seem correct as far as I can recall.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I saw your first one and I was going back and forth if I liked it. Does it look good in person?

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
I haven't received the one from Ukraine, or the Irish Seconds yet, I was hoping to get the Irish Seconds in the mail today but, nope. There's always tomorrow.... maybe. :rofl:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Interesting to read about the carburetor. I have an old Medico in my refurb pile that keeps getting bumped to the back of the line because it has one. :)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I have bought pearwood pipes from the Ukraine and really like them. There must be a cottage industry of carvers over there. I hope you enjoy the pipe.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.