My Ebay Account Was Hacked

(40 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by cigrmaster
  • Latest reply from onematch
  1. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So I am sitting here watching a pipe I bid on win the auction. I paid for it immediately through paypal and then I get a receipt saying the pipe is going here.
    13027 7th St
    Fort Myers FL 33905
    United States

I just happen to live in Sarasota Fl about 90 miles from this address. I immediately go to my paypal account and it is fine. I then contact the seller to let him know something is fucked up and tell him my correct address. I then go to my ebay account and see this new address along with my correct one. I get on the phone with ebay and tell them my tale of woe and report the hack. I got rid of the false address of course but now I am wondering how I got hacked. I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade. My latest ebay purchase was my Meer on Feb 9 so it had to have happened since then.

I looked up who lives at the address in Ft Meyers and came up with these names.
    Jose Angel Mercado Sr. and Zoelly Mercado and Amber J Gates. What makes no sense is why on earth someone at that address would want a 1969 Dunhill LB. I am totally perplexed as to how and why this happened, anyone else have something similar happen to them?

Harris
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You are being punished for buying my birth year Dunhill?

Joke aside, I hope it gets sorted out.

Probably not "personal" or about the pipe. My understanding is that these vermin try various passwords on
    various accounts until they get a lucky hit. Then just try to profit from whatever they get.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. balkisobrains

balkisobrains

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Check your paypal and anything linked to it as well. It's never a good feeling when these types of things happen.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My guess is that it was more likely just some kind of glitch in eBay's system than a hack...but who knows, especially these days.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. jravenwood

jravenwood

Login to Send PM

Glad you caught it, now change all your passwords especially if they are years old

"It is quite a three pipe problem..."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. ron123

ron123

Login to Send PM

What makes no sense is why on earth someone at that address would want a 1969 Dunhill LB.

99.999% of the general population probably would not want an estate pipe...but probably close to 100% of the people on this forum wouldn't mind snagging it Kidding aside, hopefully these people get busted.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What's odd is that if your account got hacked, they would have almost certainly changed your password.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

So..... does this mean I'm not getting the pipe?

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade

Not Good!

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Harris,

I had nothing to do with it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Interesting. I was bidding on a Rad Davis pipe from Treasurepipes. It looked like I had it as I watched it until the last second ticked off. Usually, within 10 seconds or so, the item either appears in your shopping cart or Didn't Win list. This was this morning I think and it still hasn't appeared in either. Interestingly enough, two other pipes I had thrown bids out on with treasurepipes and lost did show up in Didn't Win. Made me wonder if the guy at treasurepipes was playing games because the bid on the Rad Davis was fairly low (or at least I thought, it was a 2012 for $132.50 Devil's Anse). It shows some guy bought it for $154.06 so I suppose he had one of those bots that placed the bid at the very last millisecond. Seems strange though that it didn't show up in my Didn't Win.

I don't care much as I think eBay is incredibly screwed up anyway.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

I had that happen a few times now , bloody annoying having to change passwords etc.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

I am totally perplexed as to how and why this happened

Answer is there on your post Harris:

I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade.

Change the passwords of your ebay and Paypal accounts. For a stronger password always include:

-numbers
    -characters
    -uppercase letters

Here is an example:

1735P@ssW0rd

Javan
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

You'd have to be an idiot to use your real name and address to steal. Implicating the most likely innocent residents above could be considered slanderous and liable. I'd recommend you get your post deleted or modified..

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. smittyd

smittyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well i hope the Dunhill come's to you , other wise its liable to get tossed in the trash and that would be tragic!

Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  16. cohibajoe

cohibajoe

Login to Send PM

I have had the same password on my ebay account for at least a decade

eBay was hacked in 2014 with customer names, account passwords, email addresses, physical addresses, phone numbers and birth dates. My day job is Cyber Security Analysis for a Fortune 200 company.. I hope you are seeing a Hint about not changing your password for 10yrs??? When was the last time you changed your ATM PIN??

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Well i hope the Dunhill come's to you , other wise its liable to get tossed in the trash and that would be tragic!

I've put one there. As to the OP, are ties possible with online auctions?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1735P@ssW0rd

Javan, I would appreciate if you didn't post my password to public forums. This was shared with you in private.

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

Javan, I would appreciate if you didn't post my password to public forums. This was shared with you in private.

Oh, didn't know that we have been using the same password

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

phreon

Login to Send PM

I discovered on Sat that my account had been hacked. They changed the address, phone number, email address and name. eBay's customer service was good and got it straightened out. I rotate my passwords, so how I was breached is a bit of a mystery. A good part of Saturday was spent running virus/Trojan scans and updating all my important passwords.

The odd thing is they didn't use my account for anything...

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

phreon

Login to Send PM

Fwiw, the two most common attack vectors are a compromised email account or Trojan installed on your computer...

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'd have to be an idiot to use your real name and address to steal.

No one knows if those names are "real" or not. And the address - some address!- has to be there for the goods to be received.

Implicating the most likely innocent residents above could be considered slanderous and liable. I'd recommend you get your post deleted or modified..

Are you serious about bothering a mod to to that? Is there really a liability??

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Keep in mind, most thieves will send to a nearby address where they know the people are not at home, then follow the tracking, and take the box off the porch when it's delivered.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You'd have to be an idiot to use your real name and address to steal.
    No one knows if those names are "real" or not. And the address - some address!- has to be there for the goods to be received.

Implicating the most likely innocent residents above could be considered slanderous and liable. I'd recommend you get your post deleted or modified..
    Are you serious about bothering a mod to to that? Is there really a liability??

The address is public domain. I didn't see Harris accuse anyone of anything. Nothing wrong with his post and imho, no liability to be concerned about.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My password was a real good one that no one should have been able to hack. As far as the names and address I posted it is all public record I got off google. I have been thinking about calling the cops in Ft Meyers and giving them the info on the people living there. They may be dupes and have no idea people are using their address.

Posted 1 year ago #
  26. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Cigrmaster, google image shows that address as a newly constructed vacant ranch home as of the 2014 street view FWIW.

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

hoosierpipeguy, if I did a google search of my name/address and a post like that popped up possibly implicating me in criminal activity, I would be pissed.
    Wouldn't you?

Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

My password was a real good one that no one should have been able to hack.

Have you ever used another computer to sign in to your ebay account? If not, then probably your password has been obtained from ebay servers as cohibajoe has mentioned. I would also run a full antivirus scan to get the computer checked for any possible malware attack.

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

pipesticks, realtor.com says the house if off the market. Who knows how often these sites update their info.

Posted 1 year ago #
  30. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

jvnshr, I have never used ebay from any other computer but my own. I did a full virus and maleware scan as soon as I was done talking to ebay. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  31. pipesmokingtom

pipesmokingtom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The person that cigrmaster listed is still the owner of record of that parcel.

"We have an unspoken, mutual understanding to ignore the things we hate about each other so we can continue to enjoy the things we love about each other."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. jvnshr

jvnshr

Mod

Login to Send PM

jvnshr, I have never used ebay from any other computer but my own. I did a full virus and maleware scan as soon as I was done talking to ebay. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Well then, bienvenido a pipesmagazine, Jose

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Us amateur internet sleuths are all over this LOL. We got yer back, cigrmaster!

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys. Ebay wouldn't let the seller of my pipe change the address so he had to do it a different way, even though the fake address is no longer in my profile. I wouldn't be surprised if the hack came from ebay.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. User has not uploaded an avatar

tom12

Login to Send PM

Lastpass is a good (and free) way to keep all your passwords safely, you do need to remember the main one to get into it though.

Posted 1 year ago #
  36. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Weird, I was under the impression that eBay used the shipping address on Paypal. But, it has been a long time since I used eBay, so I am probably wrong. Good thing you caught the mistake. Congrats on the new pipe.

Michael
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hoosierpipeguy, if I did a google search of my name/address and a post like that popped up possibly implicating me in criminal activity, I would be pissed.
    Wouldn't you?

Being pissed and having a situation that exposes you to legal liability are two different things. If Harris explicitly stated the people's names and explicitly accused them of being thiefs and scumbags because he was certain they stole from him, he would potentially be liable for libel (it was written, not verbally stated, so it is libel instead of slander). Even then, they'd have to establish damages.

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And they'd have to return the pipe!

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

Even then, they'd have to establish damages.

You know, HR Departments routinely search job applicants for internet dirt, criminal history, etc. It's my policy to maintain an anonymous and rather invisible presence because once it's on the internet, it is there forever. I think it is also a good policy to consider when posting about others. Legally actionable or not, there are plenty of crazies out there that will take exception and possibly take matters into their own hands. All I see is potential downside with no upside.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. onematch

onematch

Login to Send PM

[blockquote]I wouldn't be surprised if the hack came from ebay.

Truer statement then you may think.
    Ten years ago I found some one had used my paypal account to buy close to 5 grand worth of electronics off of ebay in one day. The shipping address was changed to California. It took months, and a lot of fighting, but the truth finely came out that the "hacker" worked at paypal, and mine was one of many accounts that was "sold" by this person. Needless to say I closed my account and will never open another with them after all the hassle of cleaning up this mess. Now for internet purchases I use one of those load as you go Visa debit cards that you can pick up at Walgreens, Walmart, and most banks. It has no connection what so ever to my bank account so there is no way to charge more then what is on the card, and I only load it when I win an auction or want to make an online purchase. It may cost a few bucks in charges over a year, but for me it's worth it to keep my funds safe.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   geopiper, heeman, americaman, upnorth1, georged, weezell, ashdigger, swan, ron123, hauntedmyst, davidy97, npod, redglow, jiminks, bradical