PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Picked this up today for what I feel is a reasonable price, from a Flea Market guy. He wanted $125.00 for it, and I told him he was crazy. Anyway, I finally got it, a Dunhill Tanshell, Group 4, for $50.00. Needs alot of cleanup, but no cracks or damage other than some rim buildup and char. I can pass a cleaner all the way to the bowl, and of course the stem is oxidized horribly. Looks like 4-6 hours of work ahead of me.
016.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That should restore nicely but still have a wonderful patina found only on a old pipe. Heck of a buy for $50.

Can you read the nomenclature (year)?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
nsfisher, that is the steal of the century. Once that is cleaned up I would not be surprised if you got 3-400.00 for it. I do not know the rarity, but that is what I have seen plenty of patent pipes go for. Sometimes ever higher if it is a rare shape. I saw a patent go for 900.00 not long ago, it was a rare shape and I think it was from the 30's. The patent Dunhill's are supposed to be the best smoking ones, let us know what you think after it is cleaned up. Congrats.

Aug 1, 2012
One went for $365 "buy it now" on ebay in August.
I was just checking on the shape code because if it was a 1953 LC, it would have been worth a few thousand.
You made one great snag with that pipe. Congrats.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Yes it is bent. It does have the White dot. Judging by the condition of the stem, I would believe it is original. I am torn between cleaning it up myself, or sending it away to someone who can do a much better job than I.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Well, I have restored about 60 so far in the past year or so. However, I know that I am not as fussy as I could be. My pipes look good, but not absolutely beautiful, as some on this site that are restored.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on finding an excellent pipe. I hope all goes well for you during the cleaning process.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Well, I have restored about 60 so far in the past year or so. However, I know that I am not as fussy as I could be. My pipes look good, but not absolutely beautiful, as some on this site that are restored.
Congrats nsfisher - I dream of getting a deal like that some day - can't believe you picked it up for $50!
Let us know what you decide- looking forward to seeing how it looks restored.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I feel pretty confident in my restorations, but I would probably send that to Walker or Ronnie at Nightowl if it were my pipe. Score!

shawn

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
That is just great. Please show us when you have it cleaned up.

Status
Not open for further replies.