PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I thought why not start a new post since this is a new 'old' pipe I recently acquired. It arrived in the mail today. I'm please with it and my main concern is the stamping which is much on the light side and hard to tell what I have here. I hope the images might help someone in determining the age of this one and any additional information.
Here she is! I cannot make out to the extreme left except a very faint 3 then in the middle DUNHILL 'over' SHELL BRIAR. Looks like number 27 to the right.
dunny8-1.jpg

dunny9_9.jpg

dunny10.jpg

dunny11.jpg

dunny12_12.jpg

dunny3.jpg

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
So, the 3 tells you it's a Group 3 size

The F/T tells you it's a fish tail stem

I can tell you it's a cool pipe and you will enjoy smoking it
I can't tell if the word England is stamped after the word Briar. If it is and what looks like a 0 before the 7 is the d in the England stamp that would mean it's a 1957 or a 67

if the 7 is the same size as the d it's a 67. If it's smaller and subscript it's a 57
Anyhow, that's my guess. Been a while since I've looked at Dunhills

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
27...hmm.. you got me there. The Shell Briar, the way its stamped would lead me to believe it's somewhere between 1955 and 1975. The 7 would leave us with 1967 or 1957.
Anyhow, check out the lines on that stem. I love Dunhill Stems

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Dur you didn't show us the stinger, inquiring minds want to know. LOL
Ok Bradley, just for you! Here you go. It's more a twirly thing-a-ma-jig then a stinger! I took it out first thing and stuck it in a box. I wont be needing it but I'll keep it in a safe place since it was part of the pipe.
stinger1.jpg

stinger2.jpg

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I don't know much about Dunhill's as I only own one but I like it !! Congrats and I hope she smokes great for you !!

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Congratulations on your new pipe. I hope you enjoy it for many years. An excellent early Christmas gift.

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
I love the old 60's Dunhill blast. I have a couple from that era and they smoke great. Nice pickup and thanks for sharing!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
That is a very handsome pipe. I have 2 Dunhills. One is from about 1932 and the other is a Red Bark from 1976. What amazes me is how terrible the stamping on these pipes is. I can't understand why the world's standard for all pipes is almost always illegible.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
What you have there, from what I am seeing, is a 48 F/T from 1957.
48 F/T DUNHILL MADE IN

SHELL BRIAR ENGLAND 7
With the 7 smaller than the D in ENGLAND, a Group 4 pipe.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.