PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I've had this Dunhill for a few years now. I've never done any work on it as for as cleaning and all. I'm sure it could get back into working condition with some effort!
dunhilllighter1-1-600x448.jpg

dunhilllighter2-600x394.jpg

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
That's a real piece of history. The world will never see entire nations contributing to a war effort again... thankfully!

seanlamb63

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 20, 2013
Bethlehem
That's a nice one, looks like it's in decent condition. From a historians point of view, watch restoring it. If all the mechanisms work, I would pop in a flint and use it as is. In a lot of cases, restoring something could indeed devalue the item. Nice find though, they are getting hard and harder to come by.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I asked about them several months ago and a couple of smart guys clued me in. They're really not that rare, Sean. Dunhill made them by the hundreds of thousands and, used, they usually sell in the 20 buck range.
Here's an especially crisp one the Bay right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dunhill-Service-Military-Cigarette-Lighter-Unused-/300870262730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460d43dfc
I was also informed they don't work that well for pipes. But you certainly can't argue about their cool factor.
Fnord

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
So I assume they were issued to the British forces? I just did a search and its not clear to me if the US Military has ever issued lighters such as Zippo's. Anyone know?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Cool lighter. I saw one of those on the Pawn Stars show once. Rick told the guy pretty much the same thing fnord said, that they were made by the thousands for the soldiers and weren't too terribly rare and therefore not worth a lot on the market today. Still, a cool keepsake, even more so if it works.

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Exactly which troops were lucky enough to receive such a lighter, I don't know. But I have one in the original box which like the lighter itself says "Made in U.S.A.". The U.S. military being, generally speaking, more generous in its outfitting than the British I suspect they were made for and distributed amongst American soldiers.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't clean it up I would just get it functional again. That's beautiful patina there that tool years to form and couldn't be replicated. I'm a patina lover though just my two cents

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Nice... I have a few little personal items and a CDA bayonet from the Korean War. However someone took a file to it and went a tad crazy taking off about 1/4"+/- of the blade trying to sharpen it..

Your piece is pretty cool!
It's nice to have little pieces of history around. Kids don't learn about that stuff any longer as far as my kid tells me.

Status
Not open for further replies.