PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
It started as a thought late last November to commission a small 7-12 pipe cabinet from our very own gecko13. After conversing back on forth and discussing ideas it snowballed into something much more epic in proportion. I didn't want a display cabinet but something in which I could securely store part of my collection in while I am on the road. Doug took the few ideas we discussed and came up with a masterpiece of heirloom quality that is both beautiful in form and function.
It should be on it's way to me in a day or two but I will not be home to enjoy it until the end of the month. The cabinet will have six racks holding ten pipes each(the other two are in the shop and are not seen in the photos). You can't really tell in the photos but the bottom drawer is secured by a lip when the cabinet is closed. I am in awe as to how great it turned out. Thank you Doug for the countless hours you spent in making my dream cabinet a reality! :D

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
That's fantastic! I love the copper pieces showing patina on the racks! Very original and like you said heirloom quality, enjoy Chris! Great work Gecko!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Chris, congrats on your new cabinet, it came out incredibly well. I am sure you will enjoy it for years to come.
Doug, that is some real fine craftsmanship on your part, I honestly think you have a future as a pipe cabinet maker if you want it.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
All in all I think the build turned out well. Someday I will have to build myself a nice cabinet, but I think it’s like the story of the shoemaker’s children all going barefoot.
I have to thank Chris for his patience and great ideas during this build as I worked out the design and changed things several times. But like I told him, if I'm not happy with something and wouldn't build it that way for myself, then I won't build it for you that way. The cabinet design was inspired by looking at many antique cabinet pictures I have collected and from talking with Chris about what his vision was. After several days and weeks of trading pictures, sketches, web links, etc., we came to the end result. I’m really glad building it light was not a design criterion, and with walnut being the wood of choice…….. It’s not light.
The patina copper pipe rack idea came to me one evening while enjoying a bowl of GHC Bob's Chocolate Flake out on the deck. We already knew we were going to build removable racks, but I wanted to build something different that would stand apart from all the generic racks out there. It seemed a waste to build simple common racks and place them with the cabinet we had worked to make unique. Then it occurred to me this combination of copper with patina, walnut and maple would be unique and appealing. I told my wife and another wood worker friend about this choice of materials and they both thought the combination sounded hideous. Is true artistic genius ever appreciated at first. Lol. Both have now changed their tune and think it was a great mix. Thanks to Chris for letting me run with the idea after showing him some pictures of what copper pipe will do with a little help through chemistry.
I’m not sure what direction my next designs will take me, but I am fond of the antique style cabinet designs. We’ll have to see what ideas pop into my head while I smoke a few bowls out on the deck.
:puffpipe:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I love the removable racks and the details of their construction. What a fabulous heirloom you created, good one on gecko13 and Chris! Opening that cabinet every day would put a huge smile on my face.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Fantastic job! congrats to the new owner and well done to gecko. The craftsmanship displayed by the artists on this site is truly inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.