PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Here in the NE USA winter made a comeback overnight after a few warm days in a row so my pipe smoking on the porch with my coffee was off the table. I packed a bowl anyway and told the wife I was heading to the basement to give it a long overdue straightening up. My wife was apparently so delighted that I was tackling this project that she never mentioned the pipesmoke! I was down there most of the day, listening to past episodes of the podcasts and puffing away while taking the occasional break to listen to the interviews and sip the pipe and drink. (I really enjoyed the Russ O. Interview). You all have to understand that what I've just related is ground breaking, cigar and pipe smoking in the house has always been one of those lines that I never really tried to cross before. My brides tobacco reviews (at least my favorites) on a windy day outdoors at best would be "that smells disgusting" to the worst, "don't light that pipe until I'm upwind!" Bottom line is that we are both happy that some forward progress was made on the basement situation and tomorrow promises to be another crappy day and she mentioned that I could probably take advantage of that and continue straightening up. Looks like I might have to run out and get a smoking jacket and an old overstuffed leather recliner to keep down there! ;-)

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Looks like you're going to be doing lots of "home improvement" in the days ahead! Enjoy!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Domestic tranquility. She may be getting some magazines read upstairs.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
You are one bold gent. Glad to hear you're getting your smokes in without having to battle things out with the wife. Hey, and maybe you'll get some work done while you're at it!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Bargained my way to smoking in the kitchen with the window open and just the screen tonight. All it cost me was an extra long foot rub. I'd say a fair trade! With 30 to 40 mph wind gusts and torrential downpours, smoking on the porch was out of the question.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
Smoking in the house is never easy.
Congratulations - you are on the right track.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
Thats the one thing I hate about living in an apartment. However, its always nice to sit on a park bench with the wife and have a smoke while the dog rolls around in the grass.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I've only ever demanded one thing in my marriage and that is that me and my pipes are allowed inside. I tried smoking in the garage and it was horrible in the winter. I told her that if I'm going to work 12 hours a day, then when I get home I'm going to sit in my chair and smoke a pipe! I think because I'm pretty easy-going and never make demands like that, she said it was okay. Just no cigars or cigarettes, but to be honest, I don't want those smoked in the house either!

mrdottle

Lurker
Jan 13, 2014
You may not realize it yet, but you are well on the way to ‘building’ the man’s getaway in the home: the MAN CAVE! I have mine with a TV, Sirius/XM Boom Box, easy chair, two end tables, a couch, three book cases, four pipe racks on the wall and four used file cabinets filled with cellared tobaccos and tobacco paraphernalia. I have a window well (southern exposure for the SIRIUS/XM boom box) with an exhaust fan as well. The warden is most tolerant of my ‘disappearance into the depths’ and smoking down there EXCEPT when I smoke any blend heavily laden with Latakia. She says the stuff smells like a pile of burning tires. She may be right. I rarely smoke Latakia bombs so this is not a problem. Another thing that works out in my favor is that my wife likes mainstream TV while I can’t stand a lot of the tripe on those stations and opt for the History, Discovery, National Geographic, Public TV, etc. channels. This fact alone demands separation. :D

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Good stuff and I love the man cave idea. I'd kill for a garage or a heated shed for more reasons other than just smoking a pipe or cigar but living in the city puts a damper on that dream. The Latakia blends are primarily what I smoke with some occasional cellared VaPers thrown in and the room note in her view is still "smoke". Bottom line is I would prefer to enjoy the pipe outdoors when it's not freezing cold, windy or in a driving rain. It would be nice to have an indoor refuge to relax and enjoy a smoke when it's nasty out and I'll keep testing the water but I'm not crazy enough to push it too far. Fortunately my hobby is just that, a hobby and I don't 'need' to smoke everyday.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Since the wife and I have no children, she got the spare guest bedroom for her stuff and I got the extra spare bedroom for my stuff. I have a flat screen, beautiful view, ceiling fan(a must)and a comfy couch and all my stuff(pipes, etc, etc.)

I smoke in the house, usually the aro she likes.
Hopefully you will get the same opportunity.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
Well done, sir, well done.
I'd advocate for a slow transition into a permanent man cave down there... easy does it, and make it worth her while!
I have a garage and shed, but am lucky enough to just smoke my pipes right next to my girlfriend on the couch. She seems to like it, and her eyes lit up when I tried 1Q particularly. However, even my Dunhill tobaccos are safe. I don't take my lucky fortune for granted... Now to work on converting her from cigarettes to the pipe. Hoping the Chicago show helps.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
My oldest is now living out of state and my youngest is home part time. I'll eventually get to take over one of the small bedrooms and I plan on moving my fly tying operation, pipes, gun safe, etc. into that room and I might be able to rig an exhaust set up.
(Add) I started downstairs after getting some stuff done this morning. Even though the sun is shining, it's pretty cold out so I thought it'd be a good opportunity to get some more done in the basement. The wife chimes in from the living room as I open the basement door, " are you going down to smoke your pioes and listen to that weird pipe radio again?" Got to love 'em. ;-)

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
Boy, do I have a lot of cleaning to do in the basement (man-cave)!

I have my computer and stereo down there and she don't complain about the burning vegetation that goes on.

I just got around to picking up some of the beer cans that surround my chair, they were starting to get in the way, I shall possibly expand my cleaning efforts outward from there.
Is there pipe tobacco that goes bad with beer?

Balkan Sasieni

Brown Bogie (cat turds ;) )

Dunhill Nightcap
All excellent and stinky good to me, but to her they are just stinky.

I go downstairs, light up, I don't have to hear it, and that's that.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Maybe you should put her in the basement and you smoke in the living room. Or did she pay for the house?
Foggymountain, I'm good but not that damn good, lol! She actually came down and helped awhile today and never made a comment, good bad or otherwise in relation to my burning bowl of Artisan's Blend. It's surprising how quickly the room clears because I was going in and out after I finished a pipe and I was amazed how fast the room note disappeared. Maybe she found a boyfriend and figures she'll just leave me be with the pipe smoking......hmmm ;-)

Aug 14, 2012
Setters: I do apologize for commenting on your personal business. It's just that I am annoyed by the general perception that the women may set rules like this, so that guys who work hard supporting a family go home and are treated like inferior citizens because they smoke or drink. It is as if the women have set up a situation where the men feel guilty for just being themselves. When I was growing up, even the dog got treated with more respect.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
FM, no offense taken and I hear what your saying. I sometimes feel I was born out of season. About 1-200 years too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.