PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So we recently moved into a different house. it is way bigger than our last place which means I get a big man cave in the basement which is finished. It always feels cool down there and though I thought I might need to get a dehumidifier I didn't realize till last week just how much we needed one. I have a nice large deer mount on the wall. I'm from Illinois and killed a big buck once upon a time. I got it hung up just before we left on vacation. When we got back I was in the man cave unpacking some stuff and noticed a drop of water on the floor below my deer. As I stood there looking at it I noticed some more water at the base of the wall. I felt my deer and it was wet from the base to the snout and moisture was actually dripping out of the snout. To which my wife replied that it was trying to come back to life. I wanted to be sure that I hadn't hit a pipe so I knocked some holes in the wall and felt around, but the wall is in a place where there shouldn't be any pipes, but better safe than sorry. No pipes as I suspected, the deer however was acting like a dehumidifier and drawing moisture. Needless to say I got the deer fully dry and have 2 dehumidifiers running in the basement. Got to protect the goods, as my pipes, cellar, xbox etc is all down there.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
TtrkxjR.gif

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
When I read this that scene popped into my head also. One of my favorites parts of that movie.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
@antbauers Yeah mine too! Bummed it didnt make the remake.
@shain How many points was it? Good thing you got those dehumids going, dont want to ruin a good taxidermy job. They ain't cheap and they're not easily replaced! Been way too long since I've been deer hunting.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
You didn't hear any cackling old ladies screaming "dead by dawn, dead by dawn, dead by dawn" ?

Cause thats actually a bad sign if you did.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That sounds like awful lot of moisture Dave! Hope your buck doesn't get moldy! We've been lucky with our basement,which is where my shop and a lot of pipes are--my Skyliner hangs on a wall in the basement. Could be because it has AC and heat ducts as well as a return air duct down there. Ventilated pretty well.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Well part of the problem is that we don't use our air conditioner. It has been a cool summer and we have really shady property so there hasn't been a need. The moisture doesn't have anywhere to go.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
you need to get to the root of the problem before you get mold because then it will become expensive very quickly.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife's cousin has a mounted bobcat in his living room. So far, "Bob" has stayed put.

Beautiful animal. I've heard human remains sometimes sit bolt upright because of some

muscle reaction. Scary.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
It may be a marketable product: the Desiccate-Deer. Now in 10 and 12 point models. Regular and atypical mounts for any home.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Congrats on the move ... hope you get your ManCave soon!
The thread title made me think of this clip:
watch

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Wow, that sure would freak me out. Especially after seeing that gif bulletsandbriars put up! :lol:

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
@cobguy TRUE STORY. A middle aged buddy of mine in Montana had that happen to him when he was my age (18). Him and his buddies had it in the back of a station wagon. Four of em, driving down the road, and the damn thing stood up and started thrashing! They all freaked out. He was in the back seat, the closest object he could find was a hatchet. He said he reahed and started whacking, it was like the Shining! His buddies interior was soaked with blood all over. But hey, they got the deer!

Status
Not open for further replies.