My Daughter Got Married On Saturday (long post)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
My beautiful daughter, Samantha, got married last Saturday to a wonderful man. It was a 'destination' wedding in Miami, Florida, and almost everyone had to travel from as far away as Washington State, California, and of course, New York general area.
We originally thought that many would say 'no' to the invitation; after all, it wasn't cheap to get there, there was the hotel expense, not to mention other travel expenses. (most other food costs were covered by us).
To our surprise, out the about 170 invited, over 160 said yes, and very close to that number showed up. I'm sure there was a combination of factors, not the least was the awful weather in the Northeast-many looked at this affair as a mini-vacation to get away from the cold.
Having said that, I do believe that anyone who knew my daughter (and her husband Eric) just wanted to be there. Without being immodest, and paraphrasing from my 'father of the bride' speech, 'her warmth, her ability to make everyone around her feel welcome and loved, her smile, her caring'.
She truly is my ray of sunshine and while she was growing up I was in awe of her.
You guys know me for the posts that I have written, and maybe some of you know that I am very emotional guy. I'm 6 foot 3 inches, weight 240 lbs (now-hopefully to get back to 235 or so) but when it comes to my daughter, I just can't hold any emotions back. All of the girls in the wedding party who know me so well were egging me on to cry during rehearsal and during the 'father meets the bride to be' dress up with the wedding dress. At the time I thought that they enjoyed trying to embarrass me; my daughter told me that really they wished their dads were able to show their affection and overwhelming love to them as freely as I am able.
The true test of love came at the wedding reception the opening cocktail hour held at the 'W' hotel. I'm sure that many of us have been to affairs where it seems like there is some obligation, or 'when is it going to be over' kind of thing.
Now, maybe I'm prejudiced, (well, of course I am) but it seemed that no one wanted to leave when the party was over. The fantastic band (live instruments- NOT A DJ!!)made every one rock all over. Dancing and celebration, and everything my wife and I could have ever wished for one and only child.
I wish for all of you with children to have celebrations such as this-where family and friends together to share their love for your family.
Thanks for reading.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Congratulations, Allan! It's hard for dad's to let go of their baby daughters, but it sounds like you did well, and actually had fun. Now . . . . for grandchildren!

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Thanks guys
Brad- so what's money anyway ? Eating and mortgage payments are over rated :)
@dread- thank you
@ plateauguy- my wife is chomping at the bit for grandchildren

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Rabbi
The service was performed by a reform rabbi/cantor who kept it light, yet held with tradition
He was funny and kept the mixed crowd entertained and involved.
He was perfect - just what the couple wanted.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Congratulations Allan! It's comforting to hear a destination wedding works.

I'm gaining a son-in-law this June in New Orleans, a cajun style wedding, it should be interesting! (they live in NOLA) The young man is a pipe smoker, I snagged a NOS GBD (we're both GBD fans) to give him as a small wedding gift and I have an unsmoked 1950's Kaywoodie. The reception has an covered outdoor patio, so we'll be able to indulge. I'm normally a pretty stoic guy, but I see a few tears happening as well.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The father of the bride, that's a big moment. And the post was pretty concise. We've seen much longer

on lesser subjects. My late wife drilled me carefully on this protocol: I'm supposed to congratulate the

groom and give best wishes to the bride. Now the most important question. On that magical day,

what tobacco did you smoke, and in which pipe?

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Congrats to you and your family.
My little princess just turned 4 this month. I have many years of worry and dread to look forward before the wedding day arrives :)

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
That's awesome! Congrats to the newlyweds! She's lucky to have such a caring father. My dad is a big ole' sap. Still hugs me and kisses me on the forehead when I come home. Like I'm still a kid haha. Even at 24....I guess I'm the same way though. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I think a real man shows his emotion without holding back or feeling embarrassed about it.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Good for you man, and good for your daughter! Many happy returns.
On the Rabbi note though, I'd love to see a Rabbi come entertainer! If anything'd make me convert, it's that.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Thanks to all of you folks for all for your personal notes and well wishes.
I can only hope that each and every one if you get to experience the joy and happiness of such an event

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
Congratulations! I agree, it's a pretty emotional time even for a tough old man. I've married off two daughters in the past two years (yes, it's worth the bankruptcy). There's no feeling in the world like dancing with your daughter at her wedding. One son-in-law smokes a pipe with me, the other one doesn't. Both guys adore my daughters.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That was truly a day that will be recalled by many with wonderful times had by all. Especially Your family. Thanks for sharing your heartfelt experiences, you have much to be proud about. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.